Jump to content

Scutes unknown


jamhill

Recommended Posts

Found these on the beach in Jacksonville Florida so Pleistocene. They appear to be some kind of scute. Are they glyptodont edge scutes? Tortoise leg spurs maybe? The first one looks like two fused together. One in the second group doesn’t actually come to a point but is otherwise very similar. 

BD9FEC11-4FC2-4BF4-8573-D4021B1B0E0C.jpeg

AE1FC244-2970-4E02-AAEC-172C16382140.jpeg

2ACB1F7D-7C18-444F-997E-86E77095594C.jpeg

9872937C-F717-4E63-AA06-B758A0EE600F.jpeg

3796E390-C48F-4E9A-BE7F-4B23B1C41516.jpeg

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett Breakin' Rocks
22 minutes ago, jamhill said:

Are they glyptodont edge scutes? Tortoise leg spurs maybe?

Maybe @Shellseeker will be able to tell the difference between the Giant Tortoise and Glyptothere osteoderms ?  To my eyes they always look so similar. Very cool finds btw .. 

 

Cheers,

B

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Maybe @Shellseeker will be able to tell the difference between the Giant Tortoise and Glyptothere osteoderms ?  To my eyes they always look so similar. Very cool finds btw .. 

 

Cheers,

B

WoW!!!!!

12 years hunting and I have found exactly 1 double:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/95243-another-place-to-avoid-bartow/

Turtles /Tortoise have both leg spurs and foot pads.  You have found 3 Spurs and 1 foot pad which is the roundish one.

 

Glyptodont osteoderms are pretty much unique. Nothing looks like the body ones:

imagesGlypto.jpg.3a7b3ea09be76b324cc9d880d3533e12.jpg

The Glyptodont tail osteoderms are somewhat similar to turtle/tortoise spurs. but I think they looks more like a Hershey Kiss

See this thread -- it is really good.

 

 

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds Jamhill and Jack!

 

I am curious about both of your finds. What does the side/opposite surfaces of those look like? Jamhill Is the 2nd photo a side view?

 

Thanks!

Regards, Chris  

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The double one is one half of a giant tortoise hinny binder.

 

Merk Renz's book "Fossiling in Florida has one. Look on page 131for a picture. I no longer have the book. 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sacha said:

The double one is one half of a giant tortoise hinny binder.

 

Merk Renz's book "Fossiling in Florida has one. Look on page 131for a picture. I no longer have the book. 

I no longer have the book. 

:tiphat: However , John does have the page # :default_clap2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Nice finds Jamhill and Jack!

 

I am curious about both of your finds. What does the side/opposite surfaces of those look like? Jamhill Is the 2nd photo a side view?

 

Thanks!

Regards, Chris  

Sorry Chris, I just went back to find it in my photo Gallary, but did not take the photo of the bottom and it is unfortunately "lost" in my collection of 1000s of fossils. It was found in one of my rare trips to Bartow in November, 2014.

DoubleSpurCM.JPG.1414d93f1881538430fc9a14940f6983.JPG

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, jamhill said:

Thanks for the ID everyone. Plantguy the second pic is a side pic and here are some bottom pics

 

 

Jamhill, Thanks for the additional photos.

 

I've been working with alot of turtle/tortoise fragments recently and that 1st find of yours caught my eye, as I have something similar in shape sitting on my table at the moment. Yours does look to be an osteoderm though. I would like to see what Mark Renz has imaged...If that one is of the buckler types of osteoderms?. 

 

So here's some photos of what I have here on the table that made me wonder. I've been told its a juvenile chelydrid (snapping turtle) posterior peripheral--part of the back of the shell/carapace...At certain angles it vaguely resembles yours but the details are definitely in the surface textures and side views which are definitely unlike yours. It also shows a small indentation/hole that is a rib insertion point...

5fdab60cec7fe_Unknown2peripheralDesotoCountya.thumb.jpg.bebd1bacfb103e40d109fd6ab2e9db2a.jpg

5fdab60fd9de3_Unknown2peripheralDesotoCounty.thumb.jpg.91807ed3b0b6882242253587e71a6a60.jpgThanks again for making what I had on my table clearer in my mind! Maybe I can now put the darn thing away...LOL...

Again nice finds!

Regards, Chris 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Sorry Chris, I just went back to find it in my photo Gallary, but did not take the photo of the bottom and it is unfortunately "lost" in my collection of 1000s of fossils. It was found in one of my rare trips to Bartow in November, 2014.

 

No problem Jack. I have this curiosity bug that wont quit. My latest insanity is taking apart an extant Trachemys turtle carapace to look at the different views/cross-sections of the shell elements and trying to match/compare them against the fossil turtle pieces...Call me crazy as I am!   Nice find--congrats on that one--- many years too late!

Regards, Chris 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

So here's some photos of what I have here on the table that made me wonder. I've been told its a juvenile chelydrid (snapping turtle) posterior peripheral--part of the back of the shell/carapace...At certain angles it vaguely resembles yours but the details are definitely in the surface textures and side views which are definitely unlike yours. It also shows a small indentation/hole that is a rib insertion point...

No time tonight, up at 4:30 am. This is an interetsing find and I also have seen shapes like your photo #1, but never knew what it was....  I will recognize it going forward,  and get/keep  the next one I see.   Thanks for sharing, Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...