Boat diving GPS coordinates in Venice Florida

Metro

My neighbor and I are both getting ready to make some dives off of Venice, Florida to find some shark teeth.  My neighbor just moved in, and I'm only recently certified, so we were wondering if anyone could share some GPS coordinates of places to make our first dives in Venice.  He already owns a boat so taking a charter seems like an unnecessary expense.  Any help would be great!  :D

I have no coordinates but I do have a bit of advice. ;)

You mention being a recently certified diver. I'd suggest an abundance of caution if you are doing shark tooth dives. I've been diving for over three decades and I was an instructor for some years (till I wised up :P) and I'd like to say that task-loaded dives can be more dangerous for newbie divers or old salts. Until divers get about 50 dives under their (diving) belt they are not truly comfortable with the experience of diving. Think about the first 10-20 times you drove a car after getting your drivers license--the adrenaline was higher than normal and you were checking all of your mirrors and the car's gauges a lot more than you do now that you are comfortable with the experience of piloting a vehicle. New divers often have issues with their buoyancy (and keeping their masks fog-free). This often distracts from things like monitoring their depth and their tank pressure. I've trained a lot of divers to do coral reef or fish surveys and inexperienced divers often have issues dealing with the extra equipment that occupies their hands when they are struggling to clear their ears or add or remove air from their BCs. This can really add to stress levels and make dives more risky. 

Anything that occupies your full attention while diving adds to your risk underwater. While you are scanning the bottom looking for that perfect meg tooth or tossing back countless dugong or whale bone fragments it is easy to get immersed (literally) in the hunt and forget that you are in fact underwater and dependent on an aluminum tank for your continued existence. There are stories every year of experienced divers drowning during lobster season or hunting fossils because they became too engrossed in their actions and forgot to do simple things that are drilled into new divers such as checking their air, time and depth frequently. There was a very experienced diver who met his end diving for meg teeth on the same charter boat I dived from up in the Carolinas shortly before I went out with them. You can believe they were exceedingly over-cautious not wanting a repeat of a momentary lapse of caution on the part of a diver.

You have terrific logistics for fossil hunting while diving with a neighbor who has a boat. You may choose to take advantage of this despite my cautions. If you do please take extra precautions and make a point of checking your gauges frequently during your dive. Coldwater dives can increase your air consumption considerably and the last thing you want to do is feel resistance on an inhalation and see your air gauge hovering near zero while you are 10 meters under the surface. Diving with a "spare air" bail-out bottle wouldn't be overly cautious when doing an activity underwater that calls for undivided attention.

I don't know if the coordinates of the offshore bone beds are well known. I met a guy who would go out with a tank in a kayak and go a mile or so offshore and come back with several meg teeth every day. Likely, he was not going to well-known coordinates but exploring by himself to find unpicked areas. You might do well do get a GPS and keep a logbook of the places you have tried. If you have continuing access to a boat (and a neighbor who is willing) you might discover your own great spot to hunt for offshore fossils. If you are doing prospecting dives to look for spots you should swim around and look for signs of rocky gravel on the open flat sandy bottom. I know people who have used ping pong paddles to advantage to help sweep away the sand to uncover fossil material just under the surface.

Looking forward to hearing about and seeing any of your finds. Please be extra careful if you do go out as we'd rather hear about your dives here on the forum and not in the evening news. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 5
14 minutes ago, digit said:

Thanks for the advice, and I will definitely be careful and check my gauges often.  " You might do well do get a GPS and keep a logbook of the places you have tried. "  We might end up doing dives like that, which would probably be a safer way to gain experience. 

I am not a diver and I am glad Ken took the time to provide you with such good advice.  Safety is always number one whether in the ocean or on one of the nearby creeks or rivers.  

Asking for coordinates of dive locations that others have taken time to search out and find (sometimes over a period of years) is not likely to yield results.  I only hunt on the Peace River and would hesitate to give out a specific location in an open forum as it would likely lead to the spot being picked clean rather quickly.  I am happy to provide advice on the type of areas that are the most promising,  but the hunt to find the perfect spot is part of the great adventure.  Good Luck and stay safe.

• I found this Informative 2
9 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

I am not a diver and I am glad Ken took the time to provide you with such good advise.  Safety is always number one whether in the ocean or on one of the nearby creeks or rivers.  

Asking for coordinates of dive locations that others have taken time to search out and find (sometimes over a period of years) is not likely to yield results.  I only hunt on the Peace River and would hesitate to give out a specific location in an open forum as it would likely lead to the spot being picked clean rather quickly.  I am happy to provide advice on the type of areas that are the most promising,  but the hunt to find the perfect spot is part of the great adventure.  Good Luck and stay safe.

Yeah, I understand not wanting to give out any secret spots, but in my case I just am looking for common places to look, picked or unpicked.  Just trying to gain a general idea of how far and where to look. :)  (Also, I loved going to the Peace River, definitely something I would want to do again.  And I've heard lots of people have their secret spots along the river :D )

If you go on a weekend you should see the other dive boats about a mile south of the jetty in about 20-28 feet of water:D

• I found this Informative 2
3 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

If you go on a weekend you should see the other dive boats about a mile south of the jetty in about 20-28 feet of water:D

Good to know :D

Which also means that the area is not only well known but well searched. ;)

Getting an idea where the bone beds outcrop offshore will inform additional exploration in trying to find some place less well known and less well cleaned out. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Buy and learn how to use a compass. If you don't know how to use one and dive in a particular pattern you can end up a long long long way away from your boat. Also the viz generally is not that good.

I would highly recommend you go on one of the charters like aquanutz or aristakat. They will teach you how to use a compass and what you're looking for it is well worth the expense before you go out on your own. They both have Facebook pages.

Good Luck 

Ps don't bring your GPS and try to get their numbers bad etiquette 

• I found this Informative 1