im guessing its a tooth im not well versed in fossils .found it close to a creek in columbia s.c.

it has a layer missing on one side  and looks like roots i assumed tooth looks like a railroad spike 

Thomas.Dodson

I agree this isn't a tooth. It appears to just be a suggestive rock. Teeth have enamel among other clues. Even very worn teeth show very characteristic structure.

You're in an excellent state for various types of fossil teeth. If you are interested in fossils you're sure to find some if you keep looking, research, or get some local advice on where to look.

• I found this Informative 4
BellamyBlake

It's easy to get confused haha, even the most seasoned hunters can mistake something for a tooth. I've done it a lot! I echo what Thomas said though. My reasoning was that I don't see any enamel. I also agree that South Carolina has many opportunities to find shark teeth.

• I found this Informative 3
sharkdoctor

Teeth are highly structured skeletal elements (see diagram below). While the shape is suggestive, @Thomas.Dodson is correct in suggesting that the specimen show none of the signs of being a tooth. Keep observing! You are definitely in the right state to find excellent teeth!

tooth | Definition, Anatomy, & Facts | Britannica

• I found this Informative 4
Fossildude19

Another one in the "Not a tooth" camp.

No bone or root texture, no enamel = no tooth. :( 

Keep looking, though. 

• I found this Informative 1

I am well versed in fossil teeth, and I'm sorry to tell you this is not one.  

thanks for all of your input i guess they all cant be winnerts lol .imay try to clean it abit and see whats under the crust thats on it .but until then i have several more to for you guys to look at if you will and im loving the site as well lots of real cool stuff here to take in .thankyou again .

• Enjoyed 1

Teeth are one of my favorite things to find, and I pick up, on average, about 15 pieces of flint that "look like teeth" for every legitimate tooth. :BigSmile: Like everyone has said though, keep looking and you'll find them.

• 4 weeks later...

i uploaded an image of this recently and the picture and my experience in cleaning were very lack luster so i figured i I would give this one another shot as well as a couple more to revise sorry for the inital pics .

16145907957594560090585481678569.jpg

1614590606150614554861833861556.jpg

1614590667386743881226324062592.jpg

Lone Hunter

Geological maybe?

• I Agree 1
Rockwood

Sorry. I have to agree. It is suggestive of a tooth, but I'm afraid certainly not.

Sorry it’s just a rock. There’s no enamel or other tooth structures

Fossildude19

TOPICS MERGED - AGAIN.

Only one topic is needed. ;) 

Yup, still a suggestively shaped rock. 

IsaacTheFossilMan

Just a rock :(