I need another camera!!!

Hi everyone.   About a year ago or so I bought an exspensive camera and was going to start taking video of my fossil prep and put it on youtube.  I bought a Lumix DMC FZ300.  After spending waaaaaaaay too much time on the computer and buying a beginners guide book on this camera I realize it is waaaaaaaay to complicated for me!  To say the least.   So my question is,,,,, does anyone or can anyone recomend a simple camera that can take stills and video and can transfer those images to a PC with Windows 10?   Im at my wits end.  oh, and where would someone sell a brandnew camera that has only taken one picture?  Thank you.  my fingers are crossed. 

RB

Thecosmilia Trichitoma

There are quite a few small point and shoot cameras that would get the job done. Phone cameras with a small tripod for videos would also work well.

• Thank You 1

Transfer to computer:

Put camera in "auto"

Take all the pictures you want

Remove SD card from camera and place in USB SD card adapter

Put adapter in computer's USB slot

Click on computer's file explorer

You will find the SD card listed

Click on

There are your pictures, you can move them to any file folder you please.

Good luck

• Thank You 1
Brett Breakin' Rocks
2 hours ago, RJB said:

Hi everyone.   About a year ago or so I bought an exspensive camera and was going to start taking video of my fossil prep and put it on youtube.  I bought a Lumix DMC FZ300.  After spending waaaaaaaay too much time on the computer and buying a beginners guide book on this camera I realize it is waaaaaaaay to complicated for me!  To say the least.   So my question is,,,,, does anyone or can anyone recomend a simple camera that can take stills and video and can transfer those images to a PC with Windows 10?   Im at my wits end.  oh, and where would someone sell a brandnew camera that has only taken one picture?  Thank you.  my fingers are crossed. 

RB

I love the Olympus Pen series for it's ease of use. Set and forget .. point and shoot. Hook up and download. 

https://www.techradar.com/sg/news/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-olympus-pen-e-pl9

They are not bulky and ridiculous and you don't get feature overkill. The new versions have a touch-screen as well ? .. 

Cheers,

Brett

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
Bob Saunders

In my years of Digital cameras, I've found that most all the extra settings never get used. Either full automatic or use the setting with the flower for close ups. Video is usually automatic and night pictures I've only taken a few. The online picture shows a door on the side with two plug in ports. If you got the cable for downloading to a USB port on your computer it just takes some practice and maybe a YouTube how to video. Selling it depends on if you got a good deal, and if the vendor may let you return it or exchange for something better suited.

• Thank You 1
8 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

I think if your going to use it for videos a Gopro might be the easyest option ? 

Press a button and it records, then you need some simple rendering software

• Thank You 1
On 2/5/2021 at 12:20 PM, snolly50 said:

Transfer to computer:

Put camera in "auto"

Take all the pictures you want

Remove SD card from camera and place in USB SD card adapter

Put adapter in computer's USB slot

Click on computer's file explorer

You will find the SD card listed

Hi snolly.  I could only wish that it was that easy.  believe me, I tried everything.  On windows 10 the SD card will not show up in file exlporer.  in fact, nothing shows up anywhere.  I wasted plenty of time on the internet and could only find out that its very complicated to get files transfered.  thanks for tryin though. 

RB

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

I could only wish that it was that easy.

Yikes! That sounds awful. It should be so simple. When I was young, I enjoyed getting new equipment and figuring out how all the features worked. Now, I just want stuff to work from the start! I know you are frustrated. With all my Nikon cameras from DSLR to point and shoot, I just pop out the SD card and shove it into my desktop PC (has a card slot) - and there are the pictures. I wish I could give you some help that works, but I'm afraid I've got nothing. 

• I found this Informative 1
1 hour ago, RJB said:

On windows 10 the SD card will not show up in file exlporer

I agree with snolly50 it should be very easy, even I can do it.  Troubleshooting: check to see if the lock on the side of the card is on or off, Bad SD card, wrong type of card, not typically needed but have you tried to format card it on your computer?

• Enjoyed 1
2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I agree with snolly50 it should be very easy, even I can do it.  Troubleshooting: check to see if the lock on the side of the card is on or off, Bad SD card, wrong type of card, not typically needed but have you tried to format card it on your computer?

Never saw anything on the net about these things you mention here?  My first question would be,,, what and how do you 'unlock' a SD card?  Its a brand new card and the type the beginners book told me to get.  and I have no idea how to format a card on my pc?   and thank you for your time too. 

RB

Hi,

Your card may be too old for your PC, or it’s locked. There’s probably a little tab on one side that you have to go up or down to unlock. Can you take a picture of your card with your phone and send it to us ? Maybe we could give you better advice.

Coco

On this type of disk I circled the locking mechanism 20210207_112727_20210207112835565.thumb.jpg.5f553c1825b40f7b3b5d15e523453e10.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
FranzBernhard
48 minutes ago, Coco said:

Your card may be too old for your PC, or it’s locked.

Or vice-versa? He said, his card is brand new.

Either way, this data problems are no fun! I am very happy with my old crappy camera, have just to connect it with a cable to my old, crappy laptop and - voilá! Best of all, the camera charges also via the laptop. After I have purchased the camera, I was wondering why the battery always stayed full :DOH:.

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Or vice-versa? He said, his card is brand new.

:DOH: So right !

Coco

23 hours ago, Coco said:

Your card may be too old for your PC, or it’s locked. There’s probably a little tab on one side that you have to go up or down to unlock. Can you take a picture of your card with your phone and send it to us ? Maybe we could give you better advice.

23 hours ago, Troodon said:

On this type of disk I circled the locking mechanism 

Hi guys.  I have the exact same kind of SD except the number is 128.  Almost new camera, brand new computer and brand new SD.   Im assuming that I need to move that little switch to the down position?  

RB

Well crud.  I just tried to take a photo and when I turn on the camera, ( i had just moved that switch to the 'down position), I get a thingy in the view finder that says, "this memeory card is write protected.  ?

RB

FranzBernhard
56 minutes ago, RJB said:

I get a thingy in the view finder that says, "this memeory card is write protected.  ?

Yes, the card is secured in the switch down position. The switch has to be in the up position.

Its strange that your computer can not find the card. Do you have another card of this kind around?

And I am very surprised that the camera can not simply be connected via a cable to the computer. Well, the crappy camera I have is old and my first and only one...

Franz Bernhard

What Franz Bernhard said.  I would try another card. 128GB is the memory the card has which is more than adequate

Thomas.Dodson

From what I've read it sounds like a SD card issue. Before you give up you should try some fixes. Easiest thing to do is try another card but there are some other work-arounds I've had to use before.

First thing is you may need to format the SD card. Some cameras only read certain types of formats and formatting also "resets" any problems the card might have. I'd google this for Windows 10 since it varies by operating system. I've heard that cards formatted in the camera may also end up in forms unreadable/writeable by Windows 10. Note that formatting will delete what is currently on the card so if you have important photos try this last.

The second thing to discuss is the lock switch. People have mentioned this already and what position the switch needs to be in. However, sometimes the switches slip and the positioning gets finicky. I've had SD cards that were only writeable when the switch was about half-way. Try different positions. Some people swear you can fool the reader by covering the entire lock switch gap with scotch tape (don't put the tape over the metal connectors). I haven't tried this but you read about it sometimes.

Third, USB card readers ignore read/write restrictions on SD cards so you shouldn't have problems with these. You can buy a USB card reader, plug it into a USB port on your computer, and read the card through that instead of the SD card port on your computer.

Some of this may seem complicated (formatting) but it is actually pretty simply to do.

• Learned something new 1

I'm about a week late on this thread, but I have has similar issues with SD cards for multiple reasons in the past. The most common reason is usually the SD card reader you're plugging it into to connect it to the computer. You can buy a cheap 10 dollar USB SD card reader online or at any electronics store. It could also be the card. Some cards are actually ever so slightly thinner and have a hard time getting a good connection when plugged into an old card reader. When this happens, they can function perfectly in the camera, but won't read even in a brand new SD card reader. I usually just put some slight downward pressure when sliding the SD card into the reader and it works.

• Learned something new 1
Bobby Rico

Hi Ron

have you tried to use the wireless functions on the camera to send it to your laptop ? 

I want to thank everybody here.   I went ahead and bought a different camera after my twin brother, who lives in Australia, took a look at how to transfer pics, he's very good with camera stuff, and said I should just get another camera.  Now all I need is some warmer weather. 

RB