Has anyone recently been up to North Jersey (Montague area, etc.) to search for Devonian fossils recently?

Suchascenicworld

Suchascenicworld

Hey everyone,

I love collecting, however, I noticed that (like many people, to be fair), I have really only stuck to Big Brook, Shark River, Ramanessin, etc. While I love those places I am trying to expand my horizons a bit. I have heard about Devonian fossils being found in Northern NJ but have yet to find a recent post regarding whether such areas are still accessible and where to go. I did read somewhere (maybe this forum?) suggesting that Trilobite Ridge is probably no more. With that being said, has anyone been up to North Jersey in search for fossils recently? If so, would you have any tips/spots regarding where to go? 

Thanks! 

Let me tag @Jeffrey P who has likely paid a visit to just about every Devonian site in the area and beyond. 

Fossildude19

@GordonC

LINK to topics.

WhodamanHD

I was there at the trilobite ridge 3 or 4 years ago if memory serves, there was one elderly man who had a small outcrop on his property which was pretty much made of spiriferids whose permission I had to ask. It's where I found my first partial trilobite. Don't remember the address, not sure he's still there. I think the whole area is fossiliferous, it's finding outcrops which one can get permissions for which is the hard part.

Jeffrey P

There are still fossiliferous limestone exposures in the area around Montague, New Jersey. A number of Lower Devonian and Silurian Formations are exposed. Some are on private land where access is permitted, others are on private land where access is not permitted, and some are on public land. The Port Jervis Limestone exposed on Trilobite Ridge has very abundant partial trilobite remains though no complete ones and minimal diversity. Brachiopods and gastropods are also present and I have a very nice bivalve from there as well. Other formations have more diverse fossils but not as many trilobites. The whole area is to be avoided during hunting season, so we found out. Good luck searching.

• I found this Informative 1