Beautiful day on the Peace River, 04-06-2021

Shellseeker
18 minutes ago, digit said:

Yup. That is unavoidable when the water is low low low. Jack @Shellseeker won't even go out when the water is too low as he doesn't like bending over too far while sifting. He also goes out when the water is higher/faster than most folks will dare so he definitely has a different depth preference.

I have learned a few things about my back issues, which may not apply to others.

1) If the water covers my waist, my post hunting trip pain is significantly reduced.

2) Digging gravel for 6-7 hours in deep water has zero negative effects on my back.  It is aerobic exercise.  It helps and strengthens my back muscles.

3) The problem is bending my head to look down at the screen.  After 30-60 minutes, excruciating pain until I stop doing it.

I resolve this by getting the screen as close to my eyes as possible... Stand in chest deep water !!!!!

As Bonedaddy says: Getting old stinks. I don't recommend it. LOL.

• I Agree 1
Bone Daddy
10 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have learned a few things about my back issues, which may not apply to others.

1) If the water covers my waist, my post hunting trip pain is significantly reduced.

2) Digging gravel for 6-7 hours in deep water has zero negative effects on my back.  It is aerobic exercise.  It helps and strengthens my back muscles.

3) The problem is bending my head to look down at the screen.  After 30-60 minutes, excruciating pain until I stop doing it.

I resolve this by getting the screen as close to my eyes as possible... Stand in chest deep water !!!!!

As Bonedaddy says: Getting old stinks. I don't recommend it. LOL.

This makes a ton of sense. And it might be something I have to start gradually moving towards as I get older and my back gets crankier. It used to be the digging and carrying gear that got to me the most. Now it's the bending. I used to be able to go all day and pay for it later. Now, I start paying for it a couple of hours into the trip. By the time I stop for lunch, I am usually in a fair bit of discomfort. By the ride home it's straight up sore. Later that night it's full blown pain that lasts for two days. But, worth it. 100% worth it and I will keep doing it until I physically can't. I figure if I am more careful, I have a few more years before the pain starts becoming a deal-breaker - hopefully...knock on wood. LOL.

PODIGGER

I am with @Shellseeker on the water level to back ratio!  The lower water level does wonders to uncover the gravel but it is merciless when bending and stooping all day.  I did solve the midday lunch discomfort - I just don't stop and it all hits me later on the drive home - ouch!

As long as the depth stays under 6' or close to it I'll be back out Wednesday, the season is slipping away and I don't want to waste any chances. I was sidelined with a medical issue from the first week of Feb thru most of March and missed too many days already.  I snuck into the river against doctor's orders a few times with the help of waterproof bandages.  Those things really hurt coming off after digging all day!  Or maybe it was just the way my wife yanked them off my back- she was on the doctor's side.

• I found this Informative 1
Bone Daddy
38 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

I am with @Shellseeker on the water level to back ratio!  The lower water level does wonders to uncover the gravel but it is merciless when bending and stooping all day.  I did solve the midday lunch discomfort - I just don't stop and it all hits me later on the drive home - ouch!

As long as the depth stays under 6' or close to it I'll be back out Wednesday, the season is slipping away and I don't want to waste any chances. I was sidelined with a medical issue from the first week of Feb thru most of March and missed too many days already.  I snuck into the river against doctor's orders a few times with the help of waterproof bandages.  Those things really hurt coming off after digging all day!  Or maybe it was just the way my wife yanked them off my back- she was on the doctor's side.

Ouch. That is dedication!

I just looked at the Zolfo gauge and the river has stopped rising and has hit a plateau at 5.63 feet and a 213 flow. That is still huntable, but a good bit higher and faster than my last trip. If we don't get any more rain (a big IF at this point), then it should be back down around 5 by sometime next week. If we get more rain this coming week, then....

Bone Daddy

Well, my back made me cancel friday's hunt. We had the kayaks and gear loaded up the night before. The alarm went off in the morning and I was in so much pain that we had to call it off. I hope this rain event doesn't end the season. I'd really like to get out there at least one more time before this shortened disappointment of a season is over.  :(

Sorry, I had to gripe about it. LOL.