Jump to content

KemKem Basin Dinosaur Vertebra.


Recommended Posts

Self-taught
Hello everyone, I am trying to identify a dinosaur vertebra that comes from the KemKem basins in Morocco. Can you help me ?


DSC_1148.JPG

DSC_1157.JPG

DSC_1155.JPG

DSC_1144.JPG

DSC_1156.JPG

DSC_1145.JPG

DSC_1153.JPG

DSC_1154.JPG

DSC_1151.JPG

DSC_1152.JPG

DSC_1149.JPG

DSC_1150.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
fifbrindacier
Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

A cervical but anything would be a guess @MBL13 can shed some light on it

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Self-taught said:


Hello everyone, I am trying to identify a dinosaur vertebra that comes from the KemKem basins in Morocco. Can you help me ?

The vertebra belongs to a spinosaurid.

There's a bit of uncertainty over the spinosaurid diversity on Kem Kem,however,I'll follow Smyth et al. and referr the vertebra to Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. Others might use Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis.

I had my time to look at some details,I'm not sure that the vertebra can be positioned confidently.

The morphology suggest either a posterior cervical or a cervicodorsal vertebra. A C8 is unlikely as it lacks a ventral rugose platform (VrP). I would discard a D2 and D3 as well.

I cannot identify properly the position because it's heavily distorted. The following images are taken from McFeeters et al.(2013)

First,the posterior cervical(~C9) CMN 41856:

CMN-41856-cervical-vertebra-of-Sigilmassasaurus-in-A-dorsal-B-ventral-C.png.d455ca6b4ba35a5295c076d8232e53ba.png

Here's CMN 41857(D1), holotype of "Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis":

CMN-41857-holotype-cervical-vertebra-of-Sigilmassasaurus-brevicollis-in-A-dorsal-B.png.0233aaa7403c390cab5d1b8785db9ab8.png

 

References:

1) Smyth, Robert & Ibrahim, Nizar & Martill, David. (2020). Sigilmassasaurus is Spinosaurus: A reappraisal of African spinosaurines. Cretaceous Research. 114. 104520. 10.1016/j.cretres.2020.104520. 

 

2) McFeeters, Bradley & Ryan, Michael & Hinic-Frlog, Sanja & Schroder-Adams, Claudia. (2013). A reevaluation of Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis (Dinosauria) from the Cretaceous of Morocco. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences. 50. 636-649. 10.1139/cjes-2012-0129. 

  • I found this Informative 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Self-taught

Thank you very much for helping me, I was thinking more of an Abelisauridae never I would have believed in a Spinosauridae .. Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've yet to see a well preserved abelisaurid cervical vertebra from KK,but they have some key differences compared with those of spinosaurids.

Here's a pair of figures with the posterior cervical vertebrae of Carnotaurus sastrei:

C9:

f10_569.thumb.jpg.648389e1734440f1616a85ffc022eaf7.jpg

C10:

f11_569.thumb.jpg.01758e917a6c50598c15bb88d0b13fa2.jpg

Reference:

Méndez, Ariel. (2012). The Cervical Vertebrae of the Late Cretaceous Abelisaurid Dinosaur Carnotaurus sastrei. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica. 59. 10.4202/app.2011.0129. 

Edited by MBL13
  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
LordTrilobite

Yup, posterior cervical of a spinosaurid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Self-taught

MBL13 thank you so much 

Thank you for all this information

 :thumbsu:

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a pleasure.

I have something in development,but cannot comment what it is,hope it will help people with this type of material.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MBL13 said:

I have something in development,but cannot comment what it is,hope it will help people with this type of material.

 

Please announce here when you are free to do so. :)

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2021 at 11:35 PM, MBL13 said:

I've yet to see a well preserved abelisaurid cervical vertebra from KK,but they have some key differences compared with those of spinosaurids.

Here's a pair of figures with the posterior cervical vertebrae of Carnotaurus sastrei:

C9:

f10_569.thumb.jpg.648389e1734440f1616a85ffc022eaf7.jpg

C10:

f11_569.thumb.jpg.01758e917a6c50598c15bb88d0b13fa2.jpg

Reference:

Méndez, Ariel. (2012). The Cervical Vertebrae of the Late Cretaceous Abelisaurid Dinosaur Carnotaurus sastrei. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica. 59. 10.4202/app.2011.0129. 

I spoke to soon,after looking at some recent papers,I've found this vertebra.An abelisaurid axis (C2) described by Smyth et al. (2019):

IMG_20210416_005708.jpg.b385e629c97f6fb5196864ead6f07814.jpg

Reference:

1) Smyth, Robert & Ibrahim, Nizar & Kao, Alexander & Martill, David. (2019). Abelisauroid cervical vertebrae from the Cretaceous Kem Kem beds of Southern Morocco and a review of Kem Kem abelisauroids. Cretaceous Research. 108. 104330. 10.1016/j.cretres.2019.104330.

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...