Fossil Identifications

jvpartin

Thanks in advance. 

This is one of a group of presumptive fossils found in my daughters' backyard by me and my granddaughters'. 

It appears to be in a St Louis Limestone formation in Bronston near Somerset Kentucky.

Sponge.jpg  20210421_083352.jpg

20210421_083229.jpg

Anyone have an idea? 

I actually have two separate examples of this type of specimen found in the same area. 

Hard to judge, which is perhaps why you haven't recieved much in the way of response here. The small holes may represent burrows, perhaps even recent ones, but it's difficult to decide without having the piece directly at hand. There appear to be pebbles, perhaps chert, imbedded in a softer matrix. How hard is it?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very hard.  I also treated it to a bath in Muriatic Acid with almost no reaction so its not carbonaceous rock. I had an individual on a Facebook group identify it as Acrocyathus but I'm not entirely convinced because it doesn't resemble his image or any other that I could find of that species. (differences could be explained ......perhaps weathering etc.)  I don't think the holes are recent, one its to hard and two I chipped the other specimen off a limestone/chert formation.  I will take some pictures of the other specimen, perhaps that will aid in our discovery.  To me the rock resembles this specimen found by my nephew Orion in the same area which was identified as a cephalopod so I was thinking it may be a cast of a sponge fossil or burrows preserved in chert.

20210418_121846.jpg

I'm including these on this thread ( I don't know what they are as well) because this specimen made me thing the one above may just be a cast.

(feel free to enlighten me on this specimen as well as I am really new at this.)

The last picture is of the limestone structure (please correct me if I'm wrong) just to give an idea of what these came from

20210424_112327.jpg

20210424_112319.jpg

675109255_huntingarea.png

Edited by jvpartin