Fossil Coast fossils Question

Thefossildude

Thefossildude

Hi

Has anyone recently hunted Velano or Ponte Vedra beaches near st Augustine Florida? What is being found? How does it compare to Venice Florida?

I read there was a recent replenishment and if so, did this impact fossil hunting?

Also, anyone know what the parking is like there for off beach? Is there ample parking?

Fossildude19

One topic is enough for this. ;) 

TOM BUCKLEY
59 minutes ago, Thefossildude said:

Hi

Has anyone recently hunted Velano or Ponte Vedra beaches near st Augustine Florida? What is being found? How does it compare to Venice Florida?

I read there was a recent replenishment and if so, did this impact fossil hunting?

Also, anyone know what the parking is like there for off beach? Is there ample parking?

I was at Ponte Vedra once about 1.5 years ago. Just at the start of the Pandemic. Found nothing, but this was my first time shark tooth hunting. I've been told that the best time to go is at low tide.

I went during the week and the parking situation was no problem. The weekend is probably a different story. Hope this helps and happy hunting.

Tom

• I found this Informative 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Went to Ponte Vedra a year or 2 before the Pandemic- it's alright. Felt very lucky finding a small snaggletooth, only found like 4-5 total. One of those kinds of beaches, not too shabby not great in my experience. Tho I'm sure with enough visits a decent collection could be assembled

Mostly amazing to experience the stark difference between calm white sandy gulf beaches and a darker sand super foreboding and full of jellyfish east coast beach 

Edited by Cam28