Jump to content

A Hadrosaur tail column and a hadrosaur vertebra


Recommended Posts

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

 

I am waiting to here back from the seller a more specific location, so I will update when I get a county/town. But info I have thus far is this is a Hadrosaur column, tail vertebra, supposedly from the Two Medicine Formation of Montana. 

 

Is the description of it being Hadrosaur correct? I assume if Hadrosaur, it will be difficult to narrow down further given the number of different Hadrosaur species there are.It is 6 fused vertebra, and if it's Hadrosaur, it might make a nice display piece for me so I will likely go for it. I've also requested some extra photos.

 

 

The 2nd vert is also sold as Hadrosaur, from Two Medicine too. But it doesn't look like any Hadrosaur vert I've seen, with the really concave front centrum and the back part of the centrum bulging out. I've also requested extra info that I will update with if/when the seller messages me. Does anyone have a clue what it is, if not Hadrosaur?

 

 

Many thanks as always---hoping to bulk out my collection with some more interesting, larger pieces. If I win the broken trike horn and if this vert column checks out, they would be a nice pair to add along with the raptor vert I am also gonna pick up soon.

 

 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

that last one may be a  cervical, but troodon should have a more definitive answer. 

  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FF7_Yuffie
17 minutes ago, jpc said:

that last one may be a  cervical, but troodon should have a more definitive answer. 

I just checked the sellers description, it is listed as a cervical vert.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

Agree with jpc that last one is a hadrosaur cervical vertebra.

The verts appear to be associated but not fused.   I believe they are hadrosaur but like to get a sharper photo of the front or back of one.

  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

You will need a closer locality to determine if these are from the  TMF

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FF7_Yuffie

Cheers, I'm hopinh seller will message back with a closer locality so I can these confirmed as the right formation.

 

Thanks for taking a look. I will update when I hear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
FF7_Yuffie

Auction ended before seller got back to me unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
3 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Auction ended before seller got back to me unfortunately.

 

That's a pity, Jack! Hope you have better luck next time something like this comes around :(

 

On the upside, you didn't just pay a lot of money that couldn't be IDed sufficiently...

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
hadrosauridae

Maybe you dodged a bullet.  I'm suspect of this vertebral "fossil".  I"ve never worked in the two medicine formation but theres a lot of red flags going up for me.  The overall crudeness of the appearance, I dont see strong "bone" signs, I dont see change in appearance from surface to broken surfaces, the poor way pieces seem glued together, the contrasting dark material between the verts on one side.  

 

The single vert, is very clear in that it is a vertebra, and the complete contrast against the other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
FF7_Yuffie
5 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

 

That's a pity, Jack! Hope you have better luck next time something like this comes around :(

 

On the upside, you didn't just pay a lot of money that couldn't be IDed sufficiently...

 

Yeah, I'm sure I'll find other nice fossils. Plus, if I couldnt get a proper Id, I wouldn't buy it. Passed up a few in the past for that reason.

 

 

4 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Maybe you dodged a bullet.  I'm suspect of this vertebral "fossil".  I"ve never worked in the two medicine formation but theres a lot of red flags going up for me.  The overall crudeness of the appearance, I dont see strong "bone" signs, I dont see change in appearance from surface to broken surfaces, the poor way pieces seem glued together, the contrasting dark material between the verts on one side.  

 

The single vert, is very clear in that it is a vertebra, and the complete contrast against the other.

 

Interesting. You think it's mainly rock? Or just a shoddy repair job or even a composite of various bits and pieces?

Guess there's no way to get new pics and see now that it's sold anyway. Glad I missed it though if there's a few red flags with this one. 

 

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...