Shellseeker

I was out hunting today.. Gorgeous. Sun shining, middle 90s, cooled by the Peace River. I need to investigate a small vertebra and what seems to be a fish tooth before asking for IDs.  But for this thread, a slightly broken molar that seems like it came from a predator.

I do not have accurate size measurements, but judging by the size of my fingers, the length of the chewing surface and the crown height are both approximately 1 inch.

IMG_0495crop.thumb.jpg.91863ad98d45aa2358a6bf682157738a.jpg

IMG_0499crop.thumb.jpg.41d9fde97be7075fb3741b38f2545de0.jpg

IMG_0496crop.thumb.jpg.eef6b541fe0be1e5c1e7d632a5d40155.jpgIMG_0497crop.jpg.a3eb8cf52a610ff2fbf399f7f4947ec2.jpg

Mahnmut

Not sure with the broken side, but I think it is to big and elongate for a racoon molar, those I know are nearly square when looking on the chewing surface.

Best regards,

J

The lower portion looks similar to this, I just had identified as right side 1st upper Dire Wolf. I think you're on the right track with a carnivore.

20210607_195453~2.jpg

Shellseeker
4 hours ago, hoffy said:

The lower portion looks similar to this, I just had identified as right side 1st upper Dire Wolf. I think you're on the right track with a carnivore.

Thanks for bumping the thread and your observation. My friend found this tooth while we were hunting Monday.. I see him again tomorrow. I asked him to bring the tooth.

When I first saw it, this tooth screamed Canid to me.  I thought it might be an upper M1, but I was thinking too small for Dire Wolf, maybe Coyote.

I will get exact measurements, and take photos of the broken end, and try to determine if there were 1 or 2 missing roots.