Flying South For The Spring/summer

Nicholas

Well folks, it is that time again. I'm heading down to the Kentuckiana area for a number of weeks (approximately 8). Besides the family I'll be seeing I'll be of course trying to collect as many fossils as I can. My hunts here on my island have been rather unsuccessful with only one poor specimen over four hunts... Lets hope this dry spell will not follow me.

I'll be located near Louisville, KY for most my stay and am hoping to hit a few outcrops which I've had success in the past. Suggestions on areas to hunt would be appreciated. I'd like to get some interesting fossils and some adventures in while I'm away.

As always I'll be visiting The Falls of the Ohio fossil beds and the small Fossil center located there and perhaps visiting a few other fossil related museums in the surrounding area.

I'll be sure to document my findings, and adventures as well.

Don't worry I'll still pop on the forum fairly frequently. ;)

Fossildude19

Good Luck, Nicholas!

Have a safe trip,...and hope you find lots to boast about!biggrin.gif

Good Luck, Maybe I'll bump into you later this spring as I'd like to take a trip to Louisville around memorial day (if I don't go to Aurora!). You should PM Kentuckiana Mike as he's in Louisville and could probably tell you tons of good areas to hunt. Good guy and very nice, soaks up knowledge like a sponge!

Kentuckiana Mike

Good Luck, Maybe I'll bump into you later this spring as I'd like to take a trip to Louisville around memorial day (if I don't go to Aurora!). You should PM Kentuckiana Mike as he's in Louisville and could probably tell you tons of good areas to hunt. Good guy and very nice, soaks up knowledge like a sponge!

Thanks for the kind words Dave.

Once you get situated in Louisville, contact me through louisvillefossils.com and I can help you find fossils from the area.

You picked a good time to visit, the spring rains have been falling this last week uncovering fossils to find. Plus the Earth Day Festival will be at the Falls of the Ohio State Park on May 8th. They have restocked the Waldron Shale pile so visitors can find Silurian period fossils and the Illinois fluorite mineral area with nice material to collect. The spillway gates have been closed so the fossil beds are now being exposed again for study (no collecting there).

Safe journey.

barefootgirl

Best of Luck Nicholas!

Thanks for the kind words Dave.

Once you get situated in Louisville, contact me through louisvillefossils.com and I can help you find fossils from the area.

That's your blog! I had no idea. I've been subscribed to it for a while :) I love it.

I finally made it to my destination in IN, just outside Louisville, I had a few hang ups on the way but I'm here safe. Not sure when I'm going out on a hunt but I'm hitting a old dried creek bed either later today or tomorrow. Lots of New Albany shale although it is rare to find fossils there I hear. I'll check it out.

Take care and good luck, Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is a small update. I haven't been able to hunt much at all but I did manage to find a few fossils from that park I was talking about before, it didn't come from the shale but some stones that were put there for ascetics purposes. I got a few nice corals, and some brachs. I plan to check it over again throughout the trip.

This weekend Caitlin and I went to Cincinnati Zoo with another couple. It was a decent trip and I knew I wasn't going to get to fossil while I was there. However I was in luck! On the way back in a parking lot I found this hash plate:

post-1547-12741336359657_thumb.jpg

post-1547-12741336479972_thumb.jpg

It needs some work but I'm sure I can make something of it, there is evidence of a lot of different types of inverts.

Unfortunately even though that was a nice fossil highlight I also managed to catch food poisoning on this trip and have been bed ridden the last few days. It has been a very long time since I was that sick, it was a rough few days and I am just able to now sit up at length. Slowly recovering. When I can get the energy (or get Caitlin to) I'll get some pics of the other finds.

So far so good.

Fossildude19

Nicholas,

Sorry to hear about your brush with food poisoning,- NOT FUN,... been there, done that!wacko.gif

Hope you are well soon, and up and about in little or no time at all.smile.gif

Take care. biggrin.gif

I love spiriferid brachs!

That`s a reason my wife (she doesn`t like fossils at all) is always telling me "What the **** are you looking for! we are just walking to the car park! You can`t just forget the stones for a while in our holidays?".

;):P

barefootgirl

I hope you get to feeling better Nick. I look forward to seeing more of your finds.

• I found this Informative 1
  • 4 weeks later...