Sam Park

Sites In Florida

Sam Park

Venice and Casperton Beaches, south of Tampa on the West coast of Florida. Venice Beach is on Venice Avenue and there are plentiful signs leading the way. Casperton beach is on the South end of Harbor Rd. To find shark teeth, there are three main methods of collecting: surface scanning along the intertidal area, scooping and screening in shallow water and screening on dry shore.

Apollo Beach is another good site for shark teeth along the Florida gulf coast. The beach is on the bay, the water is dark and murky and the beach is rocky. A large number of shark teeth which tend to be better preserved (not as water worn) as those found at Venice and a larger concentration of land vertebrates can be found. In addition someone with patience and a Scuba rig can collect thousands of small shark teeth and astounding amounts of vertebrate fossils and all kinds of marine fossils.

The beach at Fernandina Beach just north of Jacksonville produces some fairly good shark teeth and water-worn vertebrate fragments.

Try Manasota Beach on the Intracoastal Waterway, or the beach three miles south of that on the same road. Go south on 776 and look for Manasota Road (?). The teeth are all over the place, averaging .5 inches, in black, gray, red, and brown. Look for where the tide comes in, that's where the teeth are brought in.

Just south of Jacksonville on a1a, shark teeth and bony fish vertabrae are found at Ponte Vedra Beach. A good access point is Mickler's Landing which is a left turn about a mile south of the McDonalds.

There are several tributaries that run into the Chipola River northeast of Panama City. One is Farley Creek which runs into the north to south running Chipola from the west on State Route 38 and Ten Mile Creek which runs in from the east on State Route 41. Banks of both creeks contain beautifully preserved Miocene mollusks and corals. Both sites represent different facies. The Ten Mile Creek site was a river delta during the Miocene. The Chipola Formation here is a gray unconsolidated clay.

West of Tallahassee, State Highway 20 crosses the Ochlocknee River. On either side of the bridge will be a side road turning south...either of these will lead down to a boat ramp...there is a nominal cost for lanching a boat from there, and there may also be boats to rent. Reasonably close to the dam on the east side of the river will be a high bluff (Jackson Bluff) with a small stream "waterfalling" down the side...there will be a marginal "shoreline" composed of limestone if the water level is not too high (you might check the water level FIRST). The fossil hunting of interest is in the reddish to grayish clays composing the Jackson Bluff Formation that have fallen from above. These contain Miocene/Pliocene shells preserved in an unmineralized state.

mommabetts

Thanks for posting.

Ocalasix

thanks for posting...gregg

Yoshiana

Thank you very much for the info! Would you happen to have any further information for some sites near Orlando and north? Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Lake counties? I'm still looking around. So much info! Thank you!

worthy 55

Thanks for posting.

Hi, mommabetts good to see your still here I haven't heard from you in awhile. Oh and thanks for the info on the sites Sam. B)B)B):)

Auspex

Hi, mommabetts good to see your still here I haven't heard from you in awhile. Oh and thanks for the info on the sites Sam. B)B)B):)

Those two posts are from Nov., 2008.

King of Snarge

Thank you very much for the info! Would you happen to have any further information for some sites near Orlando and north? Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Lake counties? I'm still looking around. So much info! Thank you!

I have often seen people sifting for shark teeth in Rock Springs Run at Kelly Park. Don't know what they find in the spring run but most likely any easily accesible gravels are fairly picked over.

There are not many convenient places to hunt fossils in Central Florida, but there are so many non-local sites available from the center of the state. For example, the Santa Fe River, the Peace River, and Venice are all within a 2-3 drive. Where do you usually go to cure your fossil fever?

King of Snarge

worthy 55

Those two posts are from Nov., 2008.

Dang , I thought it was a new post . When post show up I think their fairly new because I am here almost every day. I will check the dates from now on. :blush:B)B)B):)

Has anyone heard from mommabetts ?

Edited by worthy 55

Auspex

Not since June 18th of this year. :(

Megalodon_hunter

Manasota is pretty nice. Next time I am down that way I think I will go a little more of the beat and path.

Funny thing happened when I was at Manasota. The corpse of a fish that had been bitten by a shark washed ashore while I had my back to the waves sorting threw the shells and such for teeth.

Mango

If you like to fish, it is really sharky out there right now.

shiman-iac

I have often seen people sifting for shark teeth in Rock Springs Run at Kelly Park. Don't know what they find in the spring run but most likely any easily accesible gravels are fairly picked over.

There are not many convenient places to hunt fossils in Central Florida, but there are so many non-local sites available from the center of the state. For example, the Santa Fe River, the Peace River, and Venice are all within a 2-3 drive. Where do you usually go to cure your fossil fever?

King of Snarge

You will find things in rock springs and it is very picked over but if you dig deep in the white clay you will find things I spent maybe 4 hrs here on a week day when it opened and there was virtually nobody in rock springs...

IMG_1481copy.jpgIMG_1479copy.jpgIMG_1475copy.jpgIMG_1474copy.jpgIMG_1472copy.jpg

shiman-iac
IMG_1478copy.jpg Edited by shiman-iac

bear-dog
:) Forget Apollo Beach if you read this.The best hunting areas have been blocked off or covered up with boulders. :(