Calvert Formation 11/23/2013

vmarsh

For those who are not familiar with the area.

REF:http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/geo/lgcp.html#tc

Calvert Formation: Miocene Chesepeake Group
Plum Point Marls Member: Interbedded dark green to dark bluish-gray, fine-grained argillaceous sand and sandy clay; contains prominent shell beds and locally silica-cemented sandstones. Fairhaven Member: Greenish-blue diatomaceous clay, weathers to pale gray; pale brown to white, fine-grained argillaceous sand and greenish-blue sandy clay; total thickness 0 to 150 feet.

REF: http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/geo/cal2.html

Entrance Brownies Park (free after Labors day) just south of Chesapeake Beach, MD.

The area I searched was from 38.679233, -76.532547 to 38.673622, -76.531034. Larger fossils were predominately located in the sandy clay ripples uncovered during low tide. I found nothing searching the ripples far than 25 feet from the high tide mark. Smaller fossils are scattered throughout the area mostly in small spoil deposits near the high tide line. Dry digging and screening did not improve my finds in this area, too much sandy clay.

Here are my finding. Abundant small fossils, limited large specimens, well hunted by the locals.

I will post a better picture when I return to warmer weather.

post-13583-0-77481500-1385303676_thumb.jpg

I hunted at low tide. I feel hunting would be better just after high tide.

Edited by vmarsh

Looks like a nice mako and maybe hammerhead? Oh man it must be freezing up there! Glad you got a chance to go out.

I've hunted that stretch several times and is still surprises me how variable the collecting can be. Some days its full of teeth and others you just find micro's and sand. Thanks for posting.

Looks like a nice mako and maybe hammerhead? Oh man it must be freezing up there! Glad you got a chance to go out.

We got luck, Friday was 37 degrees, Saturday it went up to 59.

Welcome back. Hope you are thawing out.

Nice mako. I'm glad you got to hunt while you were in MD. You did better than I did yesterday. I spent 3 1/2 hours on solano and came away with maybe 30 teeth, all small. Had a small tiger and nicely colored lemon shark, but nothing remarkable. I did make the important decision that a screen and shovel are an impediment on the beach. I'll be putting the screen away for dredge piles and creeks from here on out. The only reason I would take it to a dredge pile is if I happen to show up at high tide, otherwise it just isn't useful unless you have a very small area to search and you need to go in depth.

Hopefully the waves have brought in some new teeth and we'll have some good finds. That mako I found on friday would have been a beaut if it was whole. The color is fantastic. So dark.

• 3 weeks later...

Dec 7, 2013 -- It was cold, rainy but I had the beach :) This location is just south of the Calvert Cliff location along the Chesapeake. My next trip I want to hunt the Charles County side of the Potomac.

post-13583-0-22311000-1387137902_thumb.jpg

Great to hear from you Vmarsh. Glad you are getting some hunting opportunities. Is that a lower mako top Right? It looks nice!