Mammoth, Mastodon, Or Early Elephant Tusk Section?

Arch2000

I'd like the forum's opinion on this piece, of which I have very little information: It is a tusk of some sort, broken at one end and perhaps the root end at the other? It appears to be a piece of petrified wood at first glance, especially the side with the long crack down it. However it is much lighter than petrified wood, and the broken end shows the signature hollow center.

Pics are below, the grid on which the specimen is on are 1"x1", for size comparison.

This came from a craigslist purchase of all things. It was part of a large lot (about 100 pieces) that this lady had in storage, many fish fossils and other things I still need to identify, these belonged to her father who I took was deceased and was selling everything at a steal as she needed to clean the storage unit out and didn't want to haul 'rocks' around. I believe that this is Mammoth or Mastodon as in addition to this tusk there was a partial Mastodon tooth and a large, broken Mammoth tooth- I will post about the fix for that later- in this collection I purchased.

Due to the above I know nothing about where this came from or how old it is. It has the large crack on the one side but it doesn't go all the way through, there might be a coating or shellac on the piece, I can't tell.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability, and appreciate any feedback!

post-15511-0-70774800-1402361320_thumb.jpegpost-15511-0-20724600-1402361323_thumb.jpegpost-15511-0-87404400-1402361323_thumb.jpeg

post-15511-0-79786800-1402361321_thumb.jpegpost-15511-0-65969900-1402361325_thumb.jpegpost-15511-0-57550900-1402361324_thumb.jpegpost-15511-0-85234900-1402361326_thumb.jpeg

Proboscidean tusks display Schreger lines (Google for pictures). Look at the ends for this sign.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Proboscidean tusks display Schrerger lines (Google for pictures). Look at the ends for this sign.

Thanks, I will look, but ends appear to be too rough to make out fine detail like that. I will let you know if I can find them, though.

Good luck, I just realized I put an extra "r" in Schreger. I probably would have been more helpful to you if I spelled it correctly.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the condition? I can't tell if it's been darkened or covered with a sealer or varnish (seems shinier to me than other fossilized tusks I've seen). I am considering polishing it and seeing if that will allow it to lighten and see more of the color mix normally associated with tusks. Thoughts?

The condition looks fairly rough, if it has been sealed that might be the only thing keeping it together. As is might be the best this tusk gets.