American Sites

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Although I am from Canada, I travel to the states in the summer months I stay with my fiancee's family in Indiana. I'll be about 10 minutes away from Louisville KY. So I'll pretty well have two states at my disposal for fossil hunting, anyone have any ideas where to start? I'm not sure, but I know that there are some rich fossil grounds there.

there are many fossil places in both indiana and kentucky. just stop and check road cuts. i did that on my way though and found a box full of stuff. horn corals, blastoids, crinoids, partial trilobites, brachiopods, gastropods, and other corals.

check the web for some sites as well.

brock

Uncle Siphuncle

Falls of the Ohio is supposed to have some cool Paleozoic stuff. I'm not sure if you are allowed to collect in the park or not, but if you are not, check surrounding creeks and road cuts.

Guest Nicholas
Falls of the Ohio is supposed to have some cool Paleozoic stuff. I'm not sure if you are allowed to collect in the park or not, but if you are not, check surrounding creeks and road cuts.

I was at the Falls of the Ohio last summer during a drought, I got to see the fossil beds the most exposed they have been in 100 years. Unfortunately the falls are protected, but I was thinking the surrounding areas may be rich for hunting.

I was at the Falls of the Ohio last summer during a drought, I got to see the fossil beds the most exposed they have been in 100 years. Unfortunately the falls are protected, but I was thinking the surrounding areas may be rich for hunting.

Contact the naturalist at the Falls of the Ohio park, he is an avid fossil collector. I don't believe they allow hunting within the park, but they do have a "spoils pile" that people are allowed to prospect through. I am sure he could also point you in some local areas to hunt. You might also look up the Dry Dredgers, a fossil hunting group out of Indiana.

Brent Ashcraft

• 2 weeks later...
Guest solius symbiosus

The cliffs on the N side of I-64 at Grinstead Dr. are productive sites. I used to collect on top of the tunnel just E. of Grinstead(access it through Cherokee Park). There is a nice spot in Cherokee Park that produced a Caryocrinites on every visit, it is the outcrop in the parking lot, that is at the end of the road that connects Cherokee and Seneca Parks.

I have found some nice crinoids at the exit ramps where I-65 meet the Watterson X-way. South on I-65 around the Brooks exit(about 10 miles from downtown).

Pretty much any of the road cuts on the Gene Snyder Freeway are good. I used to collect at a site in Anderson Co, about 50 miles E of Louisville on US 127 just S of Highway 144 that gave up a crinoid everytime I was there, but it was widened a few years ago and I haven't been there since.

PM me before you get to Ky and I will provide a list of some of my favorite spots. Though, most are in the inner bluegrass about 50 miles E of Louisville.

"I have found some nice crinoids at the exit ramps where I-65 meet the Watterson X-way. South on I-65 around the Brooks exit(about 10 miles from downtown)."

Ahh the romance of fossil collecting.

Jim