Help Identifying A Fossil

PotstateGuy22

I found these fossil today March 12 in a Shale Deposit of the Devonian period. The fossil are about one inch long. I think they are either a type of flat worm or a tunnel. Any help would be nice. Unfortunately they are hard to take a picture of in the lighting I have.

post-17807-0-81430800-1426211850_thumb.jpg

post-17807-0-41549700-1426211864_thumb.jpg

Hi PotstateGuy22,

Your photos have a bit of glare happening. From what I see, do your shale samples look anything like my photo of Planolites worm traces in shale?

post-296-0-48979000-1426223634_thumb.jpg

These parallel striations look like vegetation; are there coal mines nearby?

post-423-0-11045000-1426250165_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

One way to reduce the glare is to use a diffuser, any translucent material placed between the light source and the object you are photographing. A piece of white plexiglass is great, but even a sheet of paper may work. The idea is to spread the light out so you don't have a single bright source shining on your subject. Also, it helps to have the light source at an angle to the subject, to use light/shadow to bring out surface detail, instead of shining the light straight onto the subject.

Don

Archived