Anybody Want To Edisto River Hunt Thursday?

Lee Taylor

Message me if interested in shark tooth hunting the Edisto river next week. Thursday 11am. Searching for fossilized Angustiden shark teeth. The water will be 3 feet deep. Will use shovel, screen, sifter, snorkel.

Shellseeker

WANT ??? WANT ? Lee, you're killing me here.. The Peace River is arising fast, http://www.eriecanalsong.com/music/RogerMcGuinn-TheErie.mp3 flushing me out like a drowned rat and it sounds like you are getting into prime hunting conditions.

I wish I was there with you, but I'll wish you the best and live vicariously when you post the goodies on this forum.

Hmmm, SC is not THAT far from Fort Myers, is it? Jack

Lee Taylor

one of my pals just sent over a photo of a tooth he pulled out of the Edisto.(July 2015) if you like ric's

11719887_10203645378249764_416342129_n.j

Edited by Lee Taylor
Lee Taylor

the Edisto water level is GOOD right now but looks to be on the rise.

one of my pals just sent over a photo of a tooth he pulled out of the Edisto.(July 2015) if you like ric's

11719887_10203645378249764_416342129_n.j

That's a good-lookin' tooth. If a snorkel search on the Edisto comes up on a weekend, consider me in. I'll finally have a reason to pull my mask and snorkel out of hibernation!

Lee Taylor

at the current time i work weekends and have the weekdays free. SO its the reverse for me

We hit the Edisto river yesterday 07-10-15. We had a wonderful day hunting for fossil beds. We found two excellent beds. The beds looked great from the surface. They had lots of gravel and were in water 4' deep or less. Sadly, the beds produced slowly, meaning they had already been picked-over or they were just not the right material. I want to think they were not the right material. I have found the beds with black bone and black rock produce the fastest, largest, and the best, in my opinion. Cindy did cull out quite a number of pieces early on, Lynne said she had a bunch, and Denice found a pretty brown Angy mid afternoon. Found Shawn and Betty working a nice little bed and picking up pretty bluish gray teeth. All and all it was a great day, with great people, on South Carolina's ecological wonderland, the Edisto river.

Photos shortly...

Edited by Lee Taylor
reddesilets

I gotta get out there soon... I've made my college schedule and Fall 1 I will be on campus on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays so until Fall 2, I will available on Tuesdays and Thursdays while the kids are in school.

Seascritch1

Down there all week first week in August. Not sure if u will be free during week on that week. Think that is what prevented us from hunting together in 2013 when we were in charleston. Let me know if u may be hunting that week!

at the current time I can only go on weekdays. I responded to your private message. now is prime time in the Edisto. all conditions are "GO". if you can get your hands on a kayak it will help. i can motor up river to meet you and we can work our way down river. Do you have any gear?

some of my buds were a little further down river and found a GOOD spot. They had their scuba gear with them. Whoops I mean Hookah gear. I was snorkeling, shoveling, and sifting. (that is my excuse, and I am sticking to it)

1_zpsv023yctg.jpg

2_zpseruo8j59.jpg

Edited by Lee Taylor

Beauties! Wish I could get up there and help you dig those suckers out. Best of luck for the rest of the season and I hope you get more beauties.

yeah they hit a hot spot. Doesn't always work out that way but I am glad it did for them. The impression online is that everybody finds loads of teeth every time and it is actually not that way. there is a lot of preparation, surveying, and hunting that goes on

Salty... here is a video of the creek you and I are planning. We should score here. Seen Angys, Hemis, GW, & Meg here. I am planning to shovel into my basket and then use the 5 gal bucket to wash it down. Going deep. Lots of marl here. AND the blue stuff.... don't know what the blue stuff is yet, but it is on Cat Island also.

Edited by Lee Taylor

Here is a video of the second excellent gravel bed we found last week. We picked up a bunch of teenys. The beds looked great and were fun to hunt but the teeth were too few and far between. The stones did not look right either. I like to see more black stones and black fossilized bone and a bit of petrified wood. Actually I am just starting to use my snorkel. For the past 20 years I have used scuba and hookah. The snorkel works great so I bought a weight belt this week. In four feet of water it will hold me on the bottom until I want to stand up.

ps: the cover photo is from a different trip... same river (I submitted a request to youtube to change the cover to show the teenys)

Edited by Lee Taylor

Here is what we will be looking at next week (last time we got rained out shortly after we arrived)

Notice the black rock. This is a good indicator in my opinion

100_1935_zpse6af5030.jpg

100_1934_zpsefbb20aa.jpg

100_1962_zps2055ebb5.jpg

100_3903_zps4ef0885f.jpg

Im new to The Beaufort area, and have been looking for shark teeth every weekend around the beaches and shell bars. So far I have only found small teeth, maybe as big as a dime. Where else should I be looking to find bigger ones? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

reddesilets

I can't say with certainty where to look in that area, but I know I haven't had much luck looking closer to shore myself. Here, 20 or more miles inland (Summerville and Harleyville are popular) will get far better results than looking on the beach or river beds in Charleston at low tide. Maybe trying creeks that cut deep in to the land 20 - 30 miles inland. Here's a couple of good you tube channels to check out: https://www.youtube.com/user/mleetaylor & https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3-1sN7HdHaiFF4hCRlZP-g

Good luck!

I sent you a map Trice. Please leave some of the bigger ones behind for us to find.

reddesilets

When Toby is feeling better, maybe we can all meet up with Trice and group hunt. :)