Lee Taylor

Anyone up for scuba? I plan to put on my scuba unit and get in the Edisto river this weekend. I will be snooping around for fossils. You can snorkel if you like. Water temp 74 degrees F. Air temp 76 degrees F.

Edited by Lee Taylor
SingleBreath

I'd like to make it up there before long...How's the water temp and conditions in the Edisto right now Lee?

Lee Taylor

The Cooper river temp is running 73-74 degrees F today. The Edisto river is probably a degree higher because it is shallower. The air time this coming Saturday is predicted to be 76 degrees F. Although we have been having some 80 degree F days. The Edisto river depth on the Givhans gauge right now is 4.7 feet. We dive anything under 6 feet because of the slower speed of the current.

Lee Taylor

I will be on a boat next weekend so I want to do a walk-in this weekend just to pull all the parts together

Lee Taylor

if this site does not produce i know a couple of other Edisto walk in spots for fossils. I also know a deep ditch we might want to walk. shoes or mud boots required

I am expecting this site to put some big teeth in my hands. Especially after the flood. LARGE gravel (and lots of it) settle at this site

Hi Lee,

I am interested in going Saturday but I am not a diver but would be interested in snorkeling do I need a license as well?

Lee Taylor

You are required to have a license to collect off of the bottom of the rivers and state owned creeks. It does not have anything to do with scuba vrs snorkel. The license should probably be re-named. The current name is confusing. The state of SC lays claim to everything on the bottom of the rivers. When you have a license you are required to file quarterly reports on your findings of artifacts and fossils. When your report is approved, this in effect transfers ownership to you. If the state government wants the item, they will not approve your report and they will ask you to turn over the item to them.

If the DNR finds you collecting, they may elect to give you a citation (like a traffic ticket) and they may elect to take your finds. The current penalty is $180. In 20 years of hunting (8 years with a license), the DNR found me collecting once. They did not to ask for my license that particular day. I do not know why but they just did not.

Edited by Lee Taylor
Lee Taylor

The water is currently in the 74 degree F range. If you do not have a wet-suit you will get too cold very quickly, maybe immediately. To give a reference I personally feel 84 degrees F is the perfect water temp. Water removes body heat extremely fast. If you rent, borrow, or buy a wet-suit you will now float because they are very bouyant. (Unless you get a suit that is NOT bouyant). If you use a bouyant wet-suit you will need a weight belt. When the water becomes more shallow (the level is currently dropping) you can shovel and siff and the snorkel gear will not be necessary.

Lee Taylor

If you are interested I would purchase the license. It is only $5

Lee Taylor

I have one person committed for Saturday, at the moment

Lee Taylor

No rain and 80 degrees F expected for tomorrows shark tooth hunt

Lee Taylor

Sorry we missed each other NewBay

Here is a report:

Todays fossil hunt went according to schedule. We arrived and found the water, low, flat, brown, and moving. We suited up our scuba gear and got in the water. We found 5 to 8 feet of water above the gravel. The water was VERY turbid and the visibility was very low (approximately 1 foot). There was an enormous amount of silt on the bottom. We found no fossils of any significance. We surfaced, met with a friend that was launching his boat. We then went to another site further down river. We suited up at the second site, got in the water and found the conditions were about the same. We packed it in early due to not finding anything of significance, LOTS of boats, and no dive flag. All and all it was a fun day and some things were learned about walk-in diving.

Sorry it sounds like it was a bomb, except for the social and learning experience. You just never know!

Lee Taylor

We suited up in our scuba gear and got in the water. The water temp seemed to be about 74 degrees F. I wore a 5mm full wetsuit and hood. I was not uncomfortable from a temperature perspective. The water was VERY turbid and the visibility was very low (approximately 1 foot). We had flashlights. I searched and searched by fanning away the silt with my gloved hand. Suddenly a shinny clean green stone looking item came into view. I have seen and collected river rocks of the same form and shape. I could not figure out what the item was. It looked like a river polished emerald. We surfaced, met with a friend that was launching his boat. I showed them my emerald and they laughed. We all got a good laugh when they identified the "emerald" as a piece of colored decorative glass with a value around 1 cent.

13076923 10209274131515022 1983394071330778586 N