South Eastern NY M. Devonian

GordonC

Many thanks to Stingray and Jeffrey P. for the opportunity to collect; they have wonderful finds from this trip. Gordon

ID's are on a "looks like" basis.

Goniafora hamiltonensis

0116 Goniafora hamiltonensis.jpg

Mytilarca pyramidata

0116 Mytilarca pyramidata.jpg

Paleoneilo filosal

0116 Paleoneilo filosa single.jpg

See ID section "Middle Devonian Shell"

0116 big3.jpg

Paleoneilo emarginata

0116 Paleoneilo emarginata.jpg

ID?

0116 big2.jpg

Very nice finds, Gordon - good variety of bivalves. 

The last unidentified one looks like Modiomorpha sp.

Paleozoic pelecypods don't get much love or exposure, here on the Forum. :)

Glad to see you and Jeffery combating that.

Thanks for posting.  

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:drool:

Awesome sauce! Keep up the good diggin'!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hi Gordon. Thanks for posting this. It was a great site and a great time with you and Chris. A very diverse bivalve population, plus gastropods and other treats. Really lucked out with the weather. They were predicting 100% chance of rain, but the rain stopped before we arrived and later the sun came out. A couple NYS Troopers were also positive companions displaying curiosity and support. The site, which is located near Wurtsboro (Sullivan Co.) NY. is, I believe, the Mount Marion Formation. Here's a couple of my bivalve finds. I'll be adding some gastropod pics later. By the way, those Goniophora rock!!!

Pseudoaviculopecten princeps and Cimitaria recurva

IMG_4811.JPG

IMG_4843.JPG

Great finds by all Gordon and Jeff! I was going to comment that the rock and preservation looked like the Skaneateles formation but perhaps that is equivalent to the Mount Marion formation. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hi everybody. As promised here are a couple more photos of finds from Monday's trip. These are gastropods:

The first is a Platyceras. The second one is a chunk of siltstone with at least three gastropods and parts of bivalves. The gastropods I have not been able to identify.

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4829.JPG

Archived