Recommendations for meg diving near Venice

Elena919

I will be traveling to Florida 10/26 through 11/1 and planning to attempt to find my first meg.

Any advice on charters that have been good or bad, gear rental, better from boat or shore, snorkeling options, etc are much appreciated.

Thank for your help! :)

calhounensis

I only dive from shore. Florida West Scuba was very friendly and reasonable for air fills and gear rental. They even looked at my regulator that was acting up for free. Saved my day of diving. I believe they also run a charter but I can't say much about it other than what a google search could turn up.

Aristakat Charters seems to be like a great choice for charter. Have heard a lot of good reviews about them. If you're looking to 'guarantee' your chances of finding a meg, I would say a charter is your best bet. If you want to create your own experience.. Shore diving is a great way to go but be prepared for a long swim.

I like to dive Brohard and Alhambra when I go. Brohard had a lot of mammal and reptile fossils with a fair amount of teeth. Alhambra had lots of smaller teeth but can turn up some decent megs.

• I found this Informative 1

Recommendations?   I recommend taking me with you.  I am so jonesing to get back in the water.  Family duties prevented me from doing my annual gold hunting trip this year and I think my gills are drying out!

I've never been on a charter but have done my share of diving out there. A lot of the boats that do charter go to the same general areas. As Daniel said, you can shore dive but you need to go out a bit. I'd say close to a 1/4 mile to start ( 18-20) ft of water and the hunting goes out to about 28-30 ft. Anywhere between Sharkys pier and about 1/2 way to the Venice jetties. You also need to consider the distance to drag your gear from the car, some places it's substantial and it gets heavy. You can snorkel if the viz is good enough but it can be very spotty. All that being said, I would say a charter probably gives you the best chance at finding one: ) Good luck!

• I found this Informative 2
On Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 8:26 AM, firemanjosh_c said:

I dive with Mike from Aquanutz charters. He usually cleans up - just check out the Facebook feed. He has the most experience and mapped sites of anyone I've found. Three tanks, under $100 too. Can't beat it. 

https://www.facebook.com/AquanutzDiving/

Thank you!

You have to show us pictures, so take the camera!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes.

I did a charter but may prefer to do a shore dive next time as 1 hour seemed to go by way too fast for me...but I managed to achieve my goal.

first meg.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice, congrats: ) that one is in nice condition too!

Nice find, congrats!

Hey I thought you were going to swing by California to pick me up on the way down. Gosh, I'm very disappointed!

Did you get other items as well?

Glad You had a successful trip!

Nice find!

Tony

• 1 month later...

Nice one! Having that in your pocket makes it all worth while! :)

wow I just saw this!!

GREAT find!