Stylemys pathology and predation information?

IonRocks

I'm looking for some information on predation of Stylemys, I can't seem to find any information on it, other than "tortoises are often found with damage from alligators" 

Thanks in advance :)

I don't know of anything published on this but I seriously doubt the bite marks are from alligators.  Stylemys is a tortoise... Lived on land.  The one species of crocodilian in the same deposits is most certainly a watery lifestyle beast.  There are large mammalian predators that I think are more likely culprits on the white river tortoise shells.  

Ah excuse my lack of understanding on that. I'm ill informed as I have yet to come up with much information, only on other species and locations (which isn't much help to me) 

Thanks for helping me out some @jpc

I'm mostly searching to rule out forms of breakage, which judging by the size of the damage, and lack of a shape to the markings and breakage (as far as I can tell at this point, though I've only now been able to flip it over safely for a look at the plastron) I would think it would not be predation. But, the largest hole is filled in by sediment, with the broken area showing the destroyed some destroyed pieces within, I can not help but wonder what caused such a break.

Ah, so we are talking about non-puncture marks, but breaks.   My guess is from the shells starting to decay.  This is only a guess.

I should have placed images in the first place on this post too. Here's the images, with the large hole being just near the back left leg. It is nice that it is on the uncompressed side, easier to see that way

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

Archived