Anomalocaridid Fossils?

opabinia

Anyone here have any Anomalocarididae fossils? I do realize that if anyone did they most likely wouldn't be on this site but just wanted to know. I also realize that they are extremely rare but that I've seen things on here comparable when speaking about rarity.

(Kinzers Formation PA has confirmed - anomalocaris pennsylvanica.)

Thanks;

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

"If It Can be Written or Thought, It can be Filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Cambrian and Quaternary

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

See this thread: LINK 

:)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The one in the middle of this cropped pic of my Chengjiang drawer is supposed to be a part of an anomalocarid, but I don't know that for sure (nor what part, exactly!)  I'll have to get better pics when the weather improves (sunlight in short supply this year so far)

ChengjiangDrawer-cro.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It's not a big drawer, about 38x31cm, with some overflow items in other drawers....

BTW I like your quote: "Everybody is somebody else's weirdo." I bet I'm a lot of people's weirdo.

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The one in the middle of this cropped pic of my Chengjiang drawer...

I thought that Chengjiang was off limits to the public? Unless you got there before UNESCO did.

Hopefully there are a few Anomalocaridids left at the Kinzers for someone to find someday.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

1 hour ago, opabinia said:

I thought that Chengjiang was off limits to the public? Unless you got there before UNESCO did.

Hopefully there are a few Anomalocaridids left at the Kinzers for someone to find someday.

Hopefully there are enough exposures...

Where you can find an exposure of the rocks you can start to find the fossils. It just takes time and patience, and from what I know the only anomalocarids from the Kinzers came from the now defunct quarries that have been bulldozed into shopping centers and neighborhoods. 

@EMP Yeah, I haven't been able to find very much info on the Getz Quarry (where the anomalocaris was found) besides the fossils that came from it...

Its a shame that the location was destroyed before anyone could get to it like, *cough Walcott and the Burgess Shale cough*

I guess my best bet it to research the Wheeler Shale, "House Range", for possible Anomalocaridids because to my knowledge that it the most apt spot for them in the United States.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

Here's my Anomalocaridid

591b234cb9d1f_Invert_Anomalocaris1b.thumb.jpg.e2855be9be6235de4be3376328ebf886.jpg

Amplectobelua symbrachiata
525 - 505 million years old (Cambrian)
Chengjiang Biota | Yunnan Province, China

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

You're probably right that the Utah Cambrian is the best bet in the US to find examples.

For Chengjiang material, I understand they recently have been expanding the 'No Collecting Zone' to include more of the productive area in Yunnan, meaning there has been legal collecting in surrounding areas so you can still find some stuff available from a certain seller on the usual website, but the selection has been getting slimmer and pricier, I guess because of the expanding Zone (or simple law of diminishing returns?).

Andy, I recognize that one - ElToro's? Pretty nice.

BTW I believe the most recent estimate for the age of Chengjiang is about 515my.

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

You're probably right that the Utah Cambrian is the best bet in the US to find examples.

For Chengjiang material, I understand they recently have been expanding the 'No Collecting Zone' to include more of the productive area in Yunnan, meaning there has been legal collecting in surrounding areas so you can still find some stuff available from a certain seller on the usual website, but the selection has been getting slimmer and pricier, I guess because of the expanding Zone (or simple law of diminishing returns?).

Andy, I recognize that one - ElToro's? Pretty nice.

BTW I believe the most recent estimate for the age of Chengjiang is about 515my.

Correct, El Toro's. It's a great specimen.

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!