More Callovian finds.

Ludwigia

I decided yesterday to spend one more afternoon digging in the Callovian in Wutachtal before I set off this coming weekend to Canada for 3 weeks. I dug up a gigantic Macrocephalites ammonite which unfortunately was missing the entire phragmocone, so I left it on display by the outcrop. It's pretty hard work breaking out the hard layers of the socalled Rotes Erz Lager (red ore horizon) and chiseling them down bit by bit in the hopes that something's inside, but every once in a while something pops out which is worth keeping, like the 2 finds below which I finished prepping today.

592f20f1d585c_A1283Be109a.2.thumb.jpg.ca614424ed53efe33929e4273e6e36a4.jpg

592f210525c5c_A1283Be109b.2.thumb.jpg.3c053c5325e4c8feba26d74a6727e3ab.jpg

Macrocephalites jacquoti with a Belemnopsis sp. belemnite.

A1284a.2.thumb.jpg.283930f5f258985c72086ca0ccb38522.jpg

A1284b.2.thumb.jpg.7ee1bfde90bbf1720fb11849c42cb4ef.jpg

A1284c.2.thumb.jpg.8331e76ec17402247b23f2fa002e1536.jpg

Macrocephalites jacquoti with a nice view of the septal wall.

WhodamanHD

Nice finds!

Well done (finds and prep, both)! How big is the first one? Hopefully this will tide you over as you'll have to settle for our tiny, wimpy Goniatites while you're here :P 

Fossildude19

Oooooooohhhh. :wub: 

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice finds!

22 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Oooooooohhhh. :wub: 

Thanks guys :)

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Well done (finds and prep, both)! How big is the first one? Hopefully this will tide you over as you'll have to settle for our tiny, wimpy Goniatites while you're here :P 

The Belemnite is 7cm. long. I have to watch out for overweight on the return trip, so the little 'uns are ok by me :P

One more for posterity before I close up the workshop for 3 weeks. This time a Homeoplanulites sp.

A1285a.2.thumb.jpg.03133654dd177e2487da5f7b119ff637.jpg

Hi Roger

Where will you be located in Canada ? Ontario ? Do you expect to move around a little bit ?

15 hours ago, taj said:

Hi Roger

Where will you be located in Canada ? Ontario ? Do you expect to move around a little bit ?

Ill be spending most of my time visiting with family and friends in southern Ontario, but I also do have a few spare days for collecting in between.

Well, I'll be around Ottawa on the 10th and 17th on some field trips with the OPS , so if you're sticking around , maybe we'll meet there !

5 hours ago, taj said:

Well, I'll be around Ottawa on the 10th and 17th on some field trips with the OPS , so if you're sticking around , maybe we'll meet there !

Would be nice, but I'm not planning on heading that way this time. I'm more in the viscinity of Lake Ontario.

Very nice finds, Roger. I can appreciate the necessity of one last fossil excursion before you leave the country for three weeks. Have a great time in Ontario.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:59 AM, Jeffrey P said:

Very nice finds, Roger. I can appreciate the necessity of one last fossil excursion before you leave the country for three weeks. Have a great time in Ontario.

Thanks Jeff. I'm there now, had a good night's sleep and am just about to set off to visit my parents.