Penn Dixie trace fossil?

Northern Sharks

Finally getting around to posting a pic of a piece I found at last weekends "Dig with the Experts" (I was there Saturday wearing my FF shirt). Along with several enrolled Eldredgeops, a nice prone one, a few brachs and snails, I brought this piece home as well. It isn't the easiest to get a good pic of, but I showed it to several people there including other FF members and the PD staff and nobody had seen anything quite like it. The consensus is that it's a trace but the ridge running along the middle is what's causing people to scratch their heads. Has anyone ever seen a similar example? Thanks in advance

20170528_142138.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Does the end of it look pyritized? This is an interesting piece...

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There is a small area near the right end of the trace, about 1cm long,  that is the color of barley. Whether that stain is from pyrite or something else, I can't say. The left side continues under a layer of rock. I haven't tried to split it further and I'm not sure I like my odds of getting a split along the same plane. Through a post on FB, I did hear that similar traces are frequently found in the Widder shale, but I've never seen one.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Very interesting, could it have been an aquatic animal that had legs dragging behind it as it swam? Making the ridge in the middle but carving out the sides? Good luck hopefully you get a positive ID.

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

Unless those trilobites were just feeling especially spiritual something bad happened there.

@Northern Sharks if that ridge line is hollow and cylindrical then what you have is the cast of a worm burrow hole. I've seen these before. A lot of time the worm burrows themselves are pyritized.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Archived