Jump to content

Edisto Beach, S.C. finds for ID


old bones

Recommended Posts

Here are two of the items in my recent batch of beach finds that I am not sure of.  The first I thought might be shell, but the texture on the underside is curious...

E5Unkn2.thumb.jpg.fefc0621baa9853e70610d65467817f4.jpg

And the second which I was hoping was alligator.

E5Unkn.thumb.jpg.e3d5b8e9d640bc9fd8fb07caad47bca6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I think the first picture is alligator/croc. 

Cool! Thanks :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. The holes in the surface of the upper side and smooth bottom surface--along with the ridge, seem to clinch that for the first specimen. Do a search for "alligator osteoderm" on this forum or as a Google image search and you'll find examples of croc/gator bony plates that resemble your partial specimen. Second fragmentary specimen may also be crocodilian mandible if those are are dental alveoli (tooth sockets).

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stellar photos as usual!. You made me go look at a recent gator osteoderm find and I never noticed the cross hatched bone texture on the base that your photo pointed out! Too enamored by the top porous pattern. Very cool! Thanks for making me look and learn something! 

 

Regards, Chris 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2017 at 10:37 AM, digit said:

Yup. The holes in the surface of the upper side and smooth bottom surface--along with the ridge, seem to clinch that for the first specimen. Do a search for "alligator osteoderm" on this forum or as a Google image search and you'll find examples of croc/gator bony plates that resemble your partial specimen. Second fragmentary specimen may also be crocodilian mandible if those are are dental alveoli (tooth sockets).

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Thanks, Ken. I am pleased to have found alligator on this trip. The second fossil does not have any set pattern to the dimples, so not tooth sockets. 

3 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Stellar photos as usual!. You made me go look at a recent gator osteoderm find and I never noticed the cross hatched bone texture on the base that your photo pointed out! Too enamored by the top porous pattern. Very cool! Thanks for making me look and learn something! 

 

Regards, Chris 

Thank you, Chris.  The piece is so shiny that I did worry it was just shell. The pattern is awesome on the underside. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to go out on a limb and say the first one might be an Acipincer dermal scute. The pattern on the base looks fishy to me. No pun intended.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, very nice quality shots. What is the background they’re on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PaleoRon said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say the first one might be an Acipincer dermal scute. The pattern on the base looks fishy to me. No pun intended.

Well,... when I picked this up, I told @Ancient Bones who was with me, "If this isn't shell, the only things I can think of with holes like this are alligator and sturgeon." !

So, that would be very neat. It just doesn't look so much like the 'boney' texture of a gator scute even tho the ventral texture seems to be similar... 

11 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I must say your photos are exceptional! :wub:

Don

Thank you, Don :)

10 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Yes, very nice quality shots. What is the background they’re on?

Thanks, Kim. It is a Photoshop background that the images are isolated on. I describe my methods in my profile since I am often asked. In this case, the finds were photographed outside in the sunlight before editing. :)

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes sense. It didn’t look like a natural background that the items were sitting on when the picture was taken. It looked superimposed, which made it look almost too perfect. 

I guess the clue was in the 2nd shot where the shadow on the cube didn’t continue onto the surface. Also, the lighting angles on the 4 pieces in the first picture would seem to indicate they were not all positioned as they appear currently when the picture was taken.

Thanks for replying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PaleoRon said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say the first one might be an Acipincer dermal scute. The pattern on the base looks fishy to me. No pun intended.

Hey Ron, now you got my curiosity going again...does the base of that kind of scute have that cross hatching as well?.....Here's a photo of the gator one that I have and its got the cross hatching and small holes...

59fe32ddb55db_Alligatorpattern.thumb.jpg.ae988cd4e5f13ed61d00441ac7fa1b00.jpg

Regards, Chris 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. That is the first one I have seen with that particular pattern. Thanks for posting it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the first image heavy , reminds me of slag material / metal or meteorite almost . The second looks more bone like . I have no clue really just guessing . Nice photography.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They're both bones - the giveaway is that cross-hatching pattern on the internal surface of the first osteoderm, matching the unworn example from a few comments above this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...