Jump to content

Whats is it?


Napoleon North

Recommended Posts

Napoleon North

Hi

 

What is it?

Age:Cretaceous , Touronian 

Location: Skałki Twardowskiego, Kraków , Southern Poland 

Size: near 6 mm

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see too clearly, but could it be plant material? Some sort of cone perhaps?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting specimen.
I think, it can be easily extracted from the matrix. Try to make this and post some clear images from different angles.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like a fish mouth plate to me...

 

It's the ideia I have by those pictures...

 

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The angles are good on the new photos, but they are too small. Any chance you could take similar photos at a higher resolution?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Is that an ammonite above it?

Could be. Roger @Ludwigia collects Cretaceous ammonites. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike from North Queensland

What I do not know is if the matrix is from a marine or land environment as I am not familiar with the area. The surrounding material looks as if it a fine sediment amidst some small stones with no intermediate sized material suggesting possible gastroliths. I am thinking to specimen is some type of coral as a guess.

 

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Could be. Roger @Ludwigia collects Cretaceous ammonites. 

Correction, John. The overwhelming majority of my ammonites are Jurassic. Therefore I'm not all that familiar with the cretaceous ones.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Zakrzówek Lake is located in the southern part of Kraków (50o 02’ 10”N, 19o 54’ 40”E, 213 m a.s.l), in the area of a small horst structure known as the “Skałki Twardowskiego”. The structure is comprised of Upper Jurassic limestone, which had been mined until 1991 for the needs of the soda works as well as marls for cement production. The deepest exploitation level reached a depth of about 60 m below the surface, which is about 30 m below the water level of the Vistula River flowing 600 m west from the quarry. The Vistula River was the main source of water in Zakrzówek [3]. The process of filling in the former quarry ended in 1997. Now, the lake area is 21 ha (Fig.1) with a maximum depth of 32 m. Due to the quarrying method, the borders of the quarry are almost vertical and rise up to 20 m above the water level. The lake has been artificially stocked with fish, which have not yet been studied." - J. Galas. 2003. Limnological Study on a Lake Formed in a Limestone Quarry (Kraków, Poland). I. Water Chemistry. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies Vol. 12, No. 3 : 297-300

 

5a15fe8624266_Fig.1.jpg.e01a5bbf791fff98293a007c8d7da7b7.jpg

Fig. 1. Map of Zakrzówek lake, x – sampling point.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Correction, John. The overwhelming majority of my ammonites are Jurassic. Therefore I'm not all that familiar with the cretaceous ones.

:rofl: I knew when I posted this I’d have a 50% chance of getting it wrong but I was sooo sure!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Napoleon North
18 hours ago, abyssunder said:

"Zakrzówek Lake is located in the southern part of Kraków (50o 02’ 10”N, 19o 54’ 40”E, 213 m a.s.l), in the area of a small horst structure known as the “Skałki Twardowskiego”. The structure is comprised of Upper Jurassic limestone, which had been mined until 1991 for the needs of the soda works as well as marls for cement production. The deepest exploitation level reached a depth of about 60 m below the surface, which is about 30 m below the water level of the Vistula River flowing 600 m west from the quarry. The Vistula River was the main source of water in Zakrzówek [3]. The process of filling in the former quarry ended in 1997. Now, the lake area is 21 ha (Fig.1) with a maximum depth of 32 m. Due to the quarrying method, the borders of the quarry are almost vertical and rise up to 20 m above the water level. The lake has been artificially stocked with fish, which have not yet been studied." - J. Galas. 2003. Limnological Study on a Lake Formed in a Limestone Quarry (Kraków, Poland). I. Water Chemistry. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies Vol. 12, No. 3 : 297-300

 

5a15fe8624266_Fig.1.jpg.e01a5bbf791fff98293a007c8d7da7b7.jpg

Fig. 1. Map of Zakrzówek lake, x – sampling point.

 

Yes but it's Zakrzówek and not around

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the O.P. was written " Location: Skałki Twardowskiego, Kraków , Southern Poland  ", not around.

How do you know that the geological age of the sediments where the specimen was found is Turonian/Creataceous? Have you a vertical section of the formation revealing the stratigraphy of the location?

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Napoleon North
11 hours ago, abyssunder said:

In the O.P. was written " Location: Skałki Twardowskiego, Kraków , Southern Poland  ", not around.

How do you know that the geological age of the sediments where the specimen was found is Turonian/Creataceous? Have you a vertical section of the formation revealing the stratigraphy of the location?

Ptychodus tooth and other id fossil .New location is it... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...