Unusual Rock find

LiamL

Firstly, i never have any finds where i live so i doubt this is even a fossil. I have to travel to the coast for finds.

Anyway, i was walking my dog in Wakefield in west yorkshire and found this rather unusual stone. Does anybody know what it is and why it has so many holes?

weird1.jpeg

weird2.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I'm curious if it might be some sort of basalt or igneous rock ... they often use local rock quarried as roadstone or fill for paths and roadways.  You may do some research on local formations in your area. A cursory search brings up the Clevland dyke intrusion or Armathwaite dyke that has been used as road fill.  But that was just a quick search .. the rock type looks off for what is described.  Still it may be worth a look.

Cheers,

Brett

So, as an example .. the type of rock you are looking for might be a type of lava called andesite .  Which is also quarried .... btw. Again .. just a guess.  Someone else from the area is sure to pipe up.

Silurian-andesite.jpg.12f22254a6c9b9b5c213a5427a5c9485.jpg

1 hour ago, LiamL said:

Firstly, i never have any finds where i live so i doubt this is even a fossil. I have to travel to the coast for finds.

Anyway, i was walking my dog in Wakefield in west yorkshire and found this rather unusual stone. Does anybody know what it is and why it has so many holes?

weird1.jpeg

weird2.jpeg

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

make that andesite(after the South AMerican orogeny of that name).

Not saying that it is,but ..

Ahh .. haha .. touche'. Good catch and duly noted (and spelling corrected).

B

It's far and away most likely to be a form of industrial slag - effectively an artificial igneous rock. There's nothing natural like that anywhere near, probably not even with glacial transport.

Tarquin

I'm inclined to say its limestone with boring holes. (mollusks most likely) The texture and color are all wrong for igneous at least from my experience.

It could be weathered coal 'clinker', a form of slag. Near railroad tracks they are quite common. Some are rather stone like. 

They can be rather heavy.

Can we get better (focused on the specimen) images?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived