Can anyone identify this

Peter Ryder

Found this on the foreshore at Kettleness yesterday (where incidentally there were far less fossils than I have ever seen there a dozen times or more)

As anyone any idea what species it is? Apart from this only a couple of the usual Dactilyoceras 

Peter Ryder

Mystery ammonite red.jpg

Very nice and as I see this is your first post @Peter Ryder welcome to the forum.

Hello, Peter, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.

Could we see a shot of the venter please? 

2 hours ago, Peter Ryder said:

Found this on the foreshore at Kettleness yesterday (where incidentally there were far less fossils than I have ever seen there a dozen times or more)

As anyone any idea what species it is? Apart from this only a couple of the usual Dactilyoceras 

Peter Ryder

Very nice that, not an Hildoceras, I was down Kettleness last Saturday, walked from port to Kettleness but tide was coming in fast by the time we got there, need a photo of the keel if you can, those ribs look different/special, cheers, Alan.

I must say, I'm really stumped on this one. Never seen a Yorkshire Lias ammonite quite like this. @TqB What do you think?

41 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe Grammoceras cf. thouarsense ? :headscratch:

Looks similar on the inner whorls but not the outer.

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe Grammoceras cf. thouarsense ? :headscratch:

I don't think so. @Peter Ryder Please show us a view of the keel (venter) That would be helpful. I think what's confusing is that it appears to have an anomaly on the last few ribs.

A perplexing ammo indeed!:popcorn:

Welcome to the Forum Peter!

I got some killer UK ammos from him before so I will ring his bell and see if theres a answer. @StormDancer

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I must say, I'm really stumped on this one. Never seen a Yorkshire Lias ammonite quite like this. @TqB What do you think?

I'm not very good on ammonites but this does look odd and highly involute - also maybe pathological in the outer whorl as you suggest.

It's very small so may be a nucleus of something not so strange, like a Hildaites (maybe levisoni). And Kettleness also includes extensive Middle Lias exposures so it would be very helpful to know the horizon.

And a keel (venter) shot is vital!

• I found this Informative 1