Cloud the Dinosaur King

Chunk-o-saurus. 

Getting an ID on bone chunks with no distinguishing features is near impossible. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I did a quick google search and this is a shop in South Carolina?

Yes.

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

With a better location where it was found someone may be able to come up with a relative probability. 

There was no info on where it was found.

18 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Chunk-o-saurus. 

Getting an ID on bone chunks with no distinguishing features is near impossible. 

Like he said.

28 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

With a better location where it was found someone may be able to come up with a relative probability. 

In theory I think sauropod bones are more dense than average, but in practice I can imagine many factors that could make it difficult for even a well trained eye to guess without details of preservation and other known finds from the formation.

It reminds me of a rib bone. Take a look here:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

All i feel you can safely say about this piece is that it is not from a theropod, other than that it could be crocodile or sauropod / ornithischian, this is without knowing where it was from if you can find out where it was found and strata you can do a bit of process of elimination but no guaranteed identification.

20170316_164327.thumb.jpg.4ac44a8bd72811c9a345a5db78eea2dd.jpg

I have the information on where this rib came from, (hell creek) however even with that sort of information only generalized classifications can be made unfortunately, if the rib is not found with other specimens identification is very hard. I may never know whether this rib belonged to a ten ton triceratops with massive horns, or a 39 foot tyrannosaurus and sometimes an "I don't know" is all we have.  :megalodon_broken01:

rydysig.JPG

Chunkosaurus is the official name.  I would be surprised if it is actually from the Hell Creek.  Most HC bones are not that dark.  

12 hours ago, jpc said:

Chunkosaurus is the official name.  I would be surprised if it is actually from the Hell Creek.  Most HC bones are not that dark.  

It is from hell creek, this was just a poorly lit photo; the sellar only sells from hell creek and I've had a museum owner look at it personally; without me saying a word he recognised it was from the hell creek formation. I would have posted a separate post about it suggesting an ID, however I already did it was just a very long time ago. 

rydysig.JPG

14 hours ago, RyanDye said:

20170316_164327.thumb.jpg.4ac44a8bd72811c9a345a5db78eea2dd.jpg

I have the information on where this rib came from, (hell creek) however even with that sort of information only generalized classifications can be made unfortunately, if the rib is not found with other specimens identification is very hard. I may never know whether this rib belonged to a ten ton triceratops with massive horns, or a 39 foot tyrannosaurus and sometimes an "I don't know" is all we have.  :megalodon_broken01:

I know for certain it is not from a Tyrannosaurus rex because if it was, it would be hollow, so most likely Triceratops, Edmontosaurus, or Anatotitan.

Just now, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

I know for certain it is not from a Tyrannosaurus rex because if it was, it would be hollow, so most likely Triceratops, Edmontosaurus, or Anatotitan.

Rib sections aren't hollow, but most other bones you'd be right. ;) This is certainly a rib section, and it is quite possibly from a theropod. It is also a possibility that it it's from a triceratops, but the fact is that it is a rib section nonetheless. 

rydysig.JPG

Just now, RyanDye said:

Rib sections aren't hollow, but most other bones you'd be right. ;) This is certainly a rib section, and it is quite possibly from a theropod. It is also a possibility that it it's from a triceratops, but the fact is that it is a rib section nonetheless. 

Okay, thanks.

I heard that if the bone has a honeycomb texture on the inside, which mine does, it is likely a T. rex. Is this true?

Guys. 

You only have one external surface. The other side looks like relatively cancelous bone but it appears to be heavily mineralized. Rib is a reasonable guess, but in my opinion not a certainty.   Speculation is fine but you really just don't have enough evidence to go further than the chunkasaurus ID.

14 hours ago, RyanDye said:

a museum owner

Paleontologist or businessman ? Some of these guys should be selling used cars.

The consensus seems to be chunkasaurus due to the lack of discernible diagnostic details. Speculation certainly won't make it into something else. Your best bet is to take the specimen in hand to a palaeontologist if there is something about this piece that does not show up well in photographs. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

19 hours ago, RyanDye said:

It is from hell creek, this was just a poorly lit photo; the sellar only sells from hell creek and I've had a museum owner look at it personally; without me saying a word he recognised it was from the hell creek formation. I would have posted a separate post about it suggesting an ID, however I already did it was just a very long time ago. 

Are we confusing Ryans specimen with clouds? Or more likely I'm confused!

1 hour ago, Plax said:

Are we confusing Ryans specimen with clouds? Or more likely I'm confused!

I took Ryan's specimen as strictly example.

Archived