A very low peace river, wachulla, fl

dalmayshun

Hi, a friend and I went out on the very low Peace River, near Wachulla last weekend. It was beautiful, We didn't find anything spectacular. I found three large but very broken Megaledon teeth, a nice 5 inch piece of deer antler including the basal spread, and these two sharks teeth that have me a bit puzzled. Besides the normal sharks here, the sand, hemipristis, great white, etc. I found these but am unsure of what they are. The first one has that unusual looking root. To me it actually looks like a baby Megaledon, but I am sure one of you will identify it in a snap....thanks. The second may be a hemipristis, from someplace in the mouth. It is the only one I have ever found like it. It is fairly smooth up the shaft to the tip, where it has those serrations. Again, one , or more of you will be able to help me out,  I am sure. Though, I have now been doing this for two year and have learned much, I realize my own knowledge is like a pin scratch on a piece of glass...almost nonexistent. Thanks. 

20180324_084809-picsay.jpg

20180324_085033-picsay.jpg

Does the first one have any sign of there ever being any serrations?  Second is a Hemi lower.

no serrations whatsoever, and the enamel has those vertical striations in it, like megaledon, and the edges of the root aren't broken off either, they are just those long blunt edges. 

Thanks, you know when I looked at the first tooth under my loop (20x) I didn't see evidence of any wear...however after the comment about a bull shark, I decided to look again, and not only at the top...on the underside, there are ever so faint indications of some serration where the tooth comes out of the base, so bull shark would be a good possibility, thanks to you all. 

The first tooth is Carcharhinus sp. which could be Bull Shark. Hard to tell, but Bull is a good guess. If it were a tiny Meg tooth, it would have a noticeable bourlette and would likely be wider and more robust. As for the second tooth, it is definitely a lower Hemi with stronger serrations than most. 

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

I think the first one's bull. Second is definitely a Hemi. Nice teeth! :meg:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

The first one looks like a bull but it is missing the serations. Second one is a Hemipristis. They are nice:dinothumb:.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Archived