Sharktooth Island: Tips and finds from my four years in Wilmington, NC

Elodin

Stumbled on this site and remembered I had an account that I haven't used for a while. Five years later, I thought I'd post an update.

Shark Tooth Island is located in Wilmington, NC, just off the shore from River Road Park. If you're standing at the boat ramp facing the river, the island directly in front of you is Keg Island. At low tide, the upriver side of the island can have some specimens to collect, but I never had as good of luck on Keg Island as I did on Shark Tooth Island. The smaller island directly upriver from Keg Island is Shark Tooth Island.

When I first joined this site it was suggested that sifting would be the best bet for finding teeth on the island, as it's pretty picked over. The first few times I went out I sifted, but I learned quickly that I would actually have much better luck both in size and number of teeth per hour if I just did surface collecting.

Two main issues limit surface collecting. The first is rather obvious: the tide. At high tide there is pretty much no bank to collect on. From my experience, the Campbell Island Tide Chart is the most accurate to rely on for Shark Tooth Island. I found that getting on the island about 1.5 hours before low tide peaked was most effective. Plenty of surface to collect on, and it will be growing for an hour and a half. Also, if you're walking right on the edge of the water, don't forget to look in the water. I found several that were still underwater. The second main issue that limits surface collecting is the kayak tour groups. PaddleNC I think? They would take a dozen or so people to the island and if they got there before you, you're not going to have much luck that day. Unfortunately I don't remember what days/times they would normally do the tours there else I'd let you all know.

One thing to keep on your mind when you're out there, if a cargo ship or other large vessel passes by, you're going to want to make sure your kayaks are pulled WAY up before the water returns. If you left your boats only a few feet out of the water and a big vessel goes by, there's a good chance that your kayaks will be floating down the river when you're ready to leave.

Anyways, here are the vast majority of my finds from the four years I lived in Wilmington. The only fossil pictured that wasn't found on Shark Tooth Island or Keg Island is the largest tooth. That I found while trying to avoid stepping on anything sharp while walking barefoot on Masonboro Island.

20180402_081643.thumb.jpg.84c89a2b1678a1ef2549ebbe88310881.jpg

Nice finds! 

And welcome back to Fossil Forum. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

the snails (HAUSTATOR? ZULLOI) are from the Paleocene Bald head shoals formation. The tiny island is the only place that the Bald Head Shoals is exposed at the surface. PDF attached.

BaldHeadPaper.pdf

Fun place to paddle. I've seen a pod of dolphin feeding there on one visit and an alligator swimming on another.

Archived