Jump to content

Found today in Arcadia


Recommended Posts

Peace river rat

I found these today a foot apart, definitely bone. My laptop camera is all I have working at the moment. No recent breaks and the don't fit each other, I guesstimate the larger one weighs 10 pounds. I plan to return tomorrow, being found so close together is encouraging. Not found in the river but in flood ponds near the river.

WIN_20180506_19_17_02_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180506_19_17_42_Pro.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Hi Robert! Those are huge pieces of bone! We didnt make it back this year but are hoping to next year. Glad to see you are still out and about. Hope all is well.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
20 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Hi Robert! Those are huge pieces of bone! We didnt make it back this year but are hoping to next year. Glad to see you are still out and about. Hope all is well.

Hi Dave

 All is good. I cant stay out long due to Mrs River rat's stroke, but as you know I am close to the river and I can slip away for about an hour and a half before I have to check on her. Certainly the largest bones I have ever found, my guess is probecidian (sp?) or ground sloth. I will really give it a good search tomorrow, problem is the water is chest deep and a 6 ft gator calls this area home. I have not seen him in months but I have not been there in months. I carry a belt knife, better than nothing. Hope to see you next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Those are big! 

Nice finds! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat

Thanks fellas, now to see if a mastodon jaw full of molars is nearby:megdance:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat

Just got back from romping all over in there. I said a prayer of thanksgiving and a fruitful hunt and peace between me and any gators. I spent about 45 minutes in the waist to chest deep water. Alas, no giant skeleton to match yesterdays bones but I did find an entire, lower horse molar, one of only ten in my collection. A complete (fragments are common) horse tooth is always a good find.

Found also, usual assortment of smallish sharks teeth and a large partial vertebrate of a whale. When I got out of the water to celebrate my victorious find with a beer, up pops a little 2 foot gator. He was very curious about me and swam to within 20 ft and just watched me until I left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl

Oh wow, a gator! lucky you didn't become the stomach remains future paleontologists would use to tell about your unfourtunate demise! :o

 

Those are some nice finds, BTW. More images of the big bones and images of the new finds? :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
15 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Oh wow, a gator! lucky you didn't become the stomach remains future paleontologists would use to tell about your unfourtunate demise! :o

 

Those are some nice finds, BTW. More images of the big bones and images of the new finds? :D

Dragons always guard the treasure, right? My digital camera does not want to operate, battery contact is wonky. Here are some camera pics of horse teeth found months ago in the same area. Couple more laptop pics of the big bones, first the marrow side, then the outer surface, maybe better with some sunlight?

P1010005.JPG

WIN_20180507_19_11_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180507_19_12_23_Pro.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl

What are the bigguns from? Mammoth? Whale??? :headscratch:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
18 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

What are the bigguns from? Mammoth? Whale??? :headscratch:

My best guess, mammoth or sloth femur fragment. The concave/convex curvature at the broad end suggests an upper femur fragment to me. It is very solid and dense with few cracks, no real troubling looking ones. Other large pieces I have found in the past, tended to fragment quickly. This one is very dense and heavy.

 

I had not considered whale, I suppose that is another possibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

I like those horse teeth Robert!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
18 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I like those horse teeth Robert!

This area has produced a wealth of them, all but one (found it at Brownville, last season) in my collection of my best, entire molars. After the hurricane waters receded from this area in October of last year, I found 3 laying on top of a spoil island along with a small whale vert and my first megalodon (not huge *2 inch* but bicolor in perfect shape) and around 8 glyptodont scutes, all of this was laying on top, before I ever dug. Megalodon found laying right by the waters edge of the first pic, second is my scraper I fabricated and my spoil pile.

P1010028.JPG

P1010027.JPG

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

I am glad you are out and about finding some good stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
6 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I am glad you are out and about finding some good stuff.

The season is wrapping up, but this area takes awhile to be effected by high river levels. I was digging here when the river was still way to high to even think about digging. I will still be digging it in August, barring unsually excessive rain. Though I must admit, the possibility of that 6 ft gator is unnerving. But...the same possibility is in the river. I keep a lookout for it, watch the water about ten minutes before entering.

 

Thanks Dave, hope you are getting out, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds. Where I hunt I have to deal with herds of wild hogs running all over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
5 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Nice finds. Where I hunt I have to deal with herds of wild hogs running all over. 

Multi-task, bring a gun! Fill the freezer. If you are in a flood plain in the boonies it should be legal. I am no lawyer, so do your homework. I dropped one at 80 ft a few years back with a black powder .44 cap n ball. Ate real good for a long time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Multi-task, bring a gun! Fill the freezer. If you are in a flood plain in the boonies it should be legal. I am no lawyer, so do your homework. I dropped one at 80 ft a few years back with a black powder .44 cap n ball. Ate real good for a long time!

 

Yeah it's open range on hog hunting in Texas all the time but normally my backpack is already full of bones and I'm miles from my truck. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl
2 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Multi-task, bring a gun! Fill the freezer. If you are in a flood plain in the boonies it should be legal. I am no lawyer, so do your homework. I dropped one at 80 ft a few years back with a black powder .44 cap n ball. Ate real good for a long time!

Mmm bacon! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
52 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Yeah it's open range on hog hunting in Texas all the time but normally my backpack is already full of bones and I'm miles from my truck. lol

I was about 600 yards from my bike, I field dressed the carcass and carried back, I guesstimate it was a 140 pound sow before dressing. Peddaled home with it in my lap in a nylon sack. I was sore for days.

 

Speaking of pigs, any Peace river hunters ever find any Entelodont (hell pig) fossils? Not sure I would recognize one if I didth?id=OIP.2PO7PzXKUXhBrI0Nj0t-uwHaC0&w=2

P1010031.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat

Considered putting the big bone in the bottom of my new, 29 gallon aquarium, on the theory it would best be preserved underwater, but decided against it. Now that it has dried out, it seems very solid. 

WIN_20180514_21_28_02_Pro.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
4 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Considered putting the big bone in the bottom of my new, 29 gallon aquarium, on the theory it would best be preserved underwater, but decided against it. Now that it has dried out, it seems very solid. 

WIN_20180514_21_28_02_Pro.jpg

Have you ever encountered the little freshwater soles (sometimes called hogchokers or freshwater "flounders") in the Peace River?  They'd make a nice addition to that aquarium!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat
1 minute ago, Peat Burns said:

Have you ever encountered the little freshwater soles (sometimes called hogchokers or freshwater "flounders") in the Peace River?  They'd make a nice addition to that aquarium!

I did, they commonly come up in my scraper. One lasted 5 days in my 5 gallon. @Harry Pristis has also tried keeping them, with little success IIRC.

I suspect they need some salinity. Believe it or not, some freshwater fish, benefit from some salt.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
1 minute ago, Peace river rat said:

I did, they commonly come up in my scraper. One lasted 5 days in my 5 gallon. @Harry Pristis has also tried keeping them, with little success IIRC.

I suspect they need some salinity. Believe it or not, some freshwater fish, benefit from some salt.

Maybe they need special food?  I used to have some (not sure if same species) and fed them frozen brine shrimp :). Neat little fish .

 

When I was screening one day in the Peace in Arcadia, some guy came by in a canoe who was catching them to sell.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...