Newport News, Va. Family Reunion

minnbuckeye

My wife's family reunion is taking place in Newport News, Va. next weekend. As always, when I travel, I like collecting a little bit of the "past" wherever I go. It sounds like the James and York rivers can provide some collecting possibilities. My concern is not to trespass. If anyone can enlighten me on how the shorelines of these rivers are dealt with, it will hopefully keep me out of trouble!!!! I did find this statement:  In Virginia, the rivers, bays, creeks, ocean shores and their bottomlands are owned by the state and are legally presumed to be public lands unless they are proven to be subject to a special grant that predates commonwealth law. My understanding is that there are tides in these rivers. So is use by the public to high tide mark or just where the water is? 

In the past, when going on these family get-togethers, Forum members have always offered very helpful tidbits of advice that allow me to have success in the short few hours I have to explore. I am open to any suggestions regarding this trip too. 

Mike

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

high tide mark or just where the water is?

I think it’s median low tide mark in Virginia, it’s (median) high tide in Maryland. Though I would check specific counties as they might have different rules and/or interpretations.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My wife informed just now me we are going to Richmond siteseeing for the day on Saturday. I see plant fossils are available  up and down stream from Dutchman's Gap Canal. Are there any public access areas that expose the Patuxent in this vicinity? Are tides a factor this far upstream?