I live in Kansas and thought I had a lot of fossils. Well, I guess not. Is there a type of rock that houses more fossils than others? What signs (crystalization? ) a color? Etc should I look for?? Are fossils typically a certain color? 

Does anyone have fossils still in the matrix that they could post here to help me know what I'm looking for? Please.

Thanks!!

• I found this Informative 1
13 minutes ago, Ksgal said:

Is there a type of rock that houses more fossils than others?

Bingo! Sedimentary rocks most commonly hold fossils. This includes shale, limestone, sandstone, etc.

Also, as they say, “Location, Location, Location.”  Take a look at a geologic map of your area to see if you live in a fossiliferous formation. If so, what is that formations age? Once you find that, you can look up common fossils from that time.

16 minutes ago, Ksgal said:

had a lot of fossils. Well, I guess not.

Don’t feel bad about this, there isn’t a good Fossil Hunter in the world who hasn’t picked up a thousand non-fossil rocks before.

DPS Ammonite

Consider joining a local paleontological society or going out with a local TFF member to a fossil site. Seeing fossils first hand at a site is very helpful.

Also, let us know where in Kansas you live so that we can direct you to a paleo society or some fossil sites.

I haven't personally done any exploration in your area, but Butler County, KS does seem to have some exposed fossiliferous Permian strata.  You might want to look over this web page: Surficial Geology of Butler County, Kansas.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available as a .pdf file. 

I suspect that almost any creek, stream, or river in your area that cuts into the bedrock layers would have a good chance of producing fossils.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2
Xiphactinus

Hello Ksgal! I grew up in Harper County. Some places you can check out....the Ark River has many Pleistocene fossils on sandbars, I found quite a lot of Pennsylvanian fossils on the dam at Melvern Lake. I haven't personally hunted it, but I've heard of a lot of Permian material coming out of Tuttle Creek Lake area.  Good luck! 

• I found this Informative 3

Also, if you're into slight road trips, traveling north, northwest, or east will put you into a few time periods, namely Cretaceous, Permian and Pennsylvanian. I-70 cuts through these periods.

I would advise for safety reasons to not go alone, and absolutely do not stop on Interstate highways.

Here is a good introductory resource for what you can find in Kansas.

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Publications/ancient/rep02.html

Good luck and enjoy!

• I found this Informative 1