obscure Patuxent and Potomac spots

Skidush

Do you guys know if there arer any good exposures along the Patuxent river near dc? I've also heard some vague thing about fossils near Piscataway Park, but have never been able to confirm anything. The rest of what I've heard is in this link https://www.nps.gov/articles/park-paleo-spring-2018-antonioni-nace-b.htm but I don't know if they are open to collecting.

As a rule of thumb with parks, unless they say otherwise (and you could contact and ask them) fossil collecting is prohibited. Though the Maryland SHA allows Invertebrate collecting.

• I found this Informative 1
3 hours ago, Skidush said:

Do you guys know if there arer any good exposures along the Patuxent river near dc? I've also heard some vague thing about fossils near Piscataway Park, but have never been able to confirm anything. The rest of what I've heard is in this link https://www.nps.gov/articles/park-paleo-spring-2018-antonioni-nace-b.htm but I don't know if they are open to collecting.

Fascinating list. I would say that most of the outliers are valid, but with limitations. I have collected Still creek in Greenbelt park personally and found silicafied wood, sparcely. A guy at work gave me a lead on Chesapectin near Aquasco Farm Road. In a creek bed near public hunting land. It takes some detective work but you can narrow stuff down. The "baby dinosaur" map coordinates point to Long Branch Park in Langley Park. So, to answer your question about Pax River, no. Nothing solid, but don't give up. There are a lot of leads. And I believe Park Service won't care about float, just don't dig. And there is a "law" about collecting dino fossils without permits. But I imagine that goes back to digging also. Hope this helps. http://fossilspot.com/STATES/MD.HTM

FossilsAnonymous

In Piscataway there are some little rivers under roads if that's obscure enough for you..... I don't really hunt there but I have heard of spots under roads.

The Maryland Geological Survey books such as "MIocene of Maryland" and "Eocene of Maryland" are full of sites. These are of course around a century old but river sites are still there. Do some googling and don't ignore the professional literature. Am sure you've noticed that most collectors only go to sites that they've been led to specifically without personally doing research. It is quite thrilling to find a site in the literature and track it down using google earth and other modern methods. Many sites have not been visited for years or perhaps decades. Sites published from temporary construction exposures may also give insights into currrent temporary fossil sites.

One must remember Maryland’s late Paleocene Aquia formation is included in “Maryland’s Eocene” because it was incorrectly dated to that epoch.  I can tell you 95% of Cretaceous spots are no longer relevant. If you're like me, that won’t stop you from looking.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:23 AM, Plax said:

The Maryland Geological Survey books such as "MIocene of Maryland" and "Eocene of Maryland" are full of sites. These are of course around a century old but river sites are still there. Do some googling and don't ignore the professional literature. Am sure you've noticed that most collectors only go to sites that they've been led to specifically without personally doing research. It is quite thrilling to find a site in the literature and track it down using google earth and other modern methods. Many sites have not been visited for years or perhaps decades. Sites published from temporary construction exposures may also give insights into currrent temporary fossil sites.

Do you know if the bull run shale in the culpeper basin near manasas is good for collecting? I have done some googling and other than a name, general location, and triassic fish, i couldn't find anything else. Anything like availability and an exact location/directons would really help!

The Newark supergroup is in Maryland as well, but most sites have been destroyed. I think Dr. Weems did a paper on the Triassic of the culpepper basin, look under articles on Ecphora.net (Maryland Geological Society website)

Have collected Triassic in NJ and NC but not Virginia. This; despite the fact that the Virginia Solite Quarry is not too many hours away from me. VMNH has field trips there so you can get up with them if your interest is specifically Triassic. Your best bet is the professional literature and the collecting is usually restricted to a thin bed within the section.