Partial Ammonite worth slicing?

PBGeo

Hello Fellow Fossiliers!!

So whilst on a field trip with the OUGS in Lyme Regis the other day I stumbled upon this rock which has a bivalve and a partial (what would have been huge) ammonite in it.

As you can see the ammonite has undergone mineral replacement and has crystallised, seen as its not really structural intact from the outside and seems to only be 1/16th of a complete fossil would this look good if I sliced it in half to open up the inside?

And, if so, seen as I have no real prepping/cutting tools to speak of how would you recommend I go about it?

I have asked a local mason to run it through their machines, they quoted £30 max depending on how hard the stone ends up being, I would prefer to do it myself and have the tools and ability to do it again should i need to.  It stands roughly 18cm high on its end as picture.

Thank you all in advance for your opinions and advice!

IMG-20180911-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20180911-WA0007.jpeg

I'm not too familiar with that material so I don't really know whether you would see anything interesting inside if you had it cut open, but as is it looks interesting enough on the outside and not too big unless you're really cramped for space and you need to trim it down anyway. Can we see another shot with the full bivalve?

4 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I'm not too familiar with that material so I don't really know whether you would see anything interesting inside if you had it cut open, but as is it looks interesting enough on the outside and not too big unless you're really cramped for space and you need to trim it down anyway. Can we see another shot with the full bivalve?

Sure, here you go! Its not really a full bivalve but whats left is in good condition!

Thanks for your opinion too :)

IMG-20180911-WA0001.jpeg

Thanks.. It looks nice to me as is, though at some point it could be improved by the removal of that bit of matrix on the bivalve.

Ya, Im not sure you are going to be thrilled with the interior of the ammo post slicing. And certainly not after spending £30!  They should be ashamed to charge that price. 

@PBGeo I only cut ammos where I'm absolutely certain that the results will be good. This one looks more than questionable, so I would leave it. Also to be taken into account is the fact that most masonry saws are thicker than the fine diamond blades used for this purpose, so even if you manage to place the cut in such a way that you hit the center, then you'll be removing a good part of the septal chambers....actually it looks more to me like you've got a partial living chamber there. The partial bivalve, which appears to be a Plagiostoma gigantea, looks good as is.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thankyou everybody for your feedback, having taken it all into consideration I have decided to not get it cut.  Rather i might just try crack it open with a hammer and chisel.

I will try to take the bivalve off somehow though, as the rock it is attached to is far too big to display it on.

I will post back the results in another "My Collection" thread.

13 minutes ago, PBGeo said:

I will post back the results in another "My Collection" thread.

Please post it on this thread for continuity.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It looks amazing!  Its my first prep so i was kind of nervous to begin with but my confidence grew as i learnt that the fossil is much harder than the matrix.

Its just a shame it had already been broken in half before I found it :(

Any tips on how to clean the white matrix remnants from its side?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Archived