Great but unidentified fossils from Kankakee River

jmay

Found all three of these at different times in Kankakee River State Park in Illinois. In the river. 

Two of them were just laying out. I got the other one hammering rocks. The rock it was embedded in was kind of a medium sandstone.

(EDIT - I'm just attaching two because of the MB limit. You can see one of them from two different angles, including the interesting stuff in the middle, and the other from a single angle. I can post more if needed).

I'm fascinated by the three-dimensional quality of these. The one - you can see pretty well - even seems to have some internal structure visible, looks like a notochord, but who knows.

Anyway, at first I thought that I had Tully Monsters, until I learned those are never found in this form or location. Then I thought maybe I had ammonites, but apparently those are very rare in the Midwest, so I'm not so sure. 

What do we think?

IMG_2882.thumb.JPG.81f4a2f7774f9dbeab15d9727c1fd241.JPGIMG_2881.thumb.JPG.c3179c4653e3be6d0a738c7deb8e3243.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

The first piece looks like an orthoconic nautiloid. Not sure about the second piece, which could be a concretion.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

The second piece could be the siphuncle of a large orthocone cephalopod. 

You might check out Rob Russell's cephalopod gallery.

I believe he is from that area. 

Regards,

I took the liberty of cropping, turning, and brightening your photo.

IMG_2882.JPG.954f5ebf3137e1fc93322a216f1ec74d.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with the others that these two pieces are both cephalopods, most likely Silurian in age. These are not particularly rare in Illinois, and can be found at a few different sites, but they are still neat! You should post your other find in here as well.

Your First photo is a piece of Dawsonaceras cephalopod.  The second appears to be a  siphuncle of a larger cephalopod, as Tim mentioned.  And Your third pice may be a cross section of a burrow or another cephalopd.  

All Silurian in age, and from the Sugar Run formation. 

• I found this Informative 1

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.