Jump to content

FossilsAnonymous

Recommended Posts

FossilsAnonymous

So today I chose to go out to Matoaka. My parents and brother looked at me like I was crazy but I insisted upon going and I arrived. The beach was nice from the start. I found associated modern fish verts that connected somewhat into a tail shape, which was pretty cool. I proceeded along the beach, finding a tooth I want positive identification on that I'll post later on and some other cool teeth, including large Hemis and a Ecphora  with only a small bit missing. The hunt itself wasn't as interesting as what happened next. After about an hour and a half of looking, we went back to our car to refuel. There we met Mr Bryan, a helper for the cabins. He had been fossil hunting down here for 4 months straight, and asked to see what I found. At this point, he slipped a very nice, large tooth into my collector without me noticing till later. He saw my Ecphora and asked if I wanted to see his collection. I obviously said yes. Mr Bryan had so many Ecphora, ranging from minuscule to the size of my palm, from dusky brown to brilliant orange, and offered me a few. His generosity was amazing. He also showed me the whale skull and associated verts he dug out of the St Mary's formation, and the crocodile vert from the same place. He showed me his collection of teeth, including megalodons and a crocodile tooth 2-3 inches long. The highlight of his collection was a fossilized crab he dug out of the cliffs, here, at Matoaka. It was a brilliant piece with claws intact and even places where the eye stalks attached. It was stunning detail, and he offered me a crab body very similar to his except missing the claws. His generosity was at breaking point when he offered me a crocodile tooth as well, albeit smaller than his highlight. He also offered to walk the cliffs with me if we send him notice and look for the best Ecphora. What a person. I couldn't say thanks enough. When we left, I purchased a nice 1 1/2 inch meg from the roadside stand for a steal. It was a great day.

 

Crab:

IMG_3152.thumb.jpg.f0f9e344aab6ad839f6fa4898591f612.jpg

IMG_3153.thumb.jpg.7746ef3d9b532b8c3b475042c079c585.jpg

Croc Tooth

IMG_3154.thumb.jpg.f24b661d267f2248a69627ee84ab45cd.jpg

 

  • I found this Informative 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous

Some of my finds, including the multiple Ecphora Mr Bryan gave me.

IMG_3150.thumb.jpg.81fc7a1376dde5be98b258e18ba5ff75.jpg

The juvenile meg

IMG_3157.thumb.jpg.0e6b5d124074f1c47c98b1b52a5b2c56.jpg

 

 

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous

The big Ecphora Mr Bryan gave me, before prep

.IMG_3149.thumb.jpg.3749a016c9250d4baa9a8f0c9018700d.jpg

Some random teeth

IMG_3155.thumb.jpg.5c5109d84c13cc72e97993ab75b976cf.jpg

That's all, I'll post the after prep soon.

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
2 minutes ago, Archie said:

Awesome finds! Love the little crab :D 

I like the crab too! First time I saw something like that in Maryland.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's lovely how kind and generous some people are. :)

Hurrah for Mr. Bryan. 

Those Ecphora look great and i also love the crab. 

And the croc tooth and meg! :D

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's lovely how kind and generous some people are. :)

Hurrah for Mr. Bryan. 

Those Ecphora look great and i also love the crab. 

And the croc tooth and meg! :D

 

Thank you. I agree completely, although I sometimes wonder how evenly the mix is spread out between the generous people and the people that aren't so nice. :blink:

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Thank you. I agree completely, although I sometimes wonder how evenly the mix is spread out between the generous people and the people that aren't so nice. :blink:

Yeah; know what you mean. 

But I still like to think there's a lot of good folk about. 

The bad guys just make themselves more obvious! 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yeah; know what you mean. 

But I still like to think there's a lot of good folk about. 

The bad guys just make themselves more obvious! 

That should be the new wise man saying. Book of famous quotes: "But I still like to think there's a lot of good folk about. The bad guys just make themselves more obvious!" Tigdy's Dad, Wednesday, November 21. It makes a lot of sense.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

That should be the new wise man saying. Book of famous quotes: "But I still like to think there's a lot of good folk about. The bad guys just make themselves more obvious!" Tigdy's Dad, Wednesday, November 21.

:D

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad that you had a good hunt! Meeting up with a very nice and generous man seems like icing on the cake.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
DeepTimeIsotopes

How nice of that guy. That could become a good friendship if you visit enough. Thanks for sharing your trip!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
2 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

How nice of that guy. That could become a good friendship if you visit enough. Thanks for sharing your trip!

 

8 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I am glad that you had a good hunt! Meeting up with a very nice and generous man seems like icing on the cake.

Thank you both. Mr Bryan was special, I have to say, but it feels good when someone is that kind to you or another person.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. The generosity is splendid.

I was there October 6 I think it was. I didn’t find a single tooth that day, but I found lots of shells. I did not find an intact Ecphora, but the lady I was hunting with found a pretty whole one and gave it to me. Sadly it did not make it back to Texas in tact. 

I think this is my favorite shell from there. 32A7C089-CD23-4A61-A623-648CCBC8A57E.thumb.jpeg.1c5de427950144e52d0f3d99e237a1d4.jpegFF06D687-3E5F-41C3-AF71-3FCDAA4FBECF.thumb.jpeg.8f8fdb9f3c3f62be68a7c59cf085c1b5.jpeg3A2B9030-C8E6-405E-ADAB-9D8B6BC27C35.thumb.jpeg.7b34d30aab34116f2dd0f6c9c9548c68.jpeg

 

I collected quite a few that made it back whole.

It was my first time there. I would love to go back. I really enjoyed going through the piles of avalanches material. I did find a good size piece of fossil whale bone.

I loved the place and hope I get to return one day.

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great trip!  Good to go hunting with someone who has found a lot of stuff before.  Some types of teeth and ecphora are clustered tightly by location.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great collection of ecphora you have now!  We stayed there maybe about 4-5 years ago and I brought 2 back covered in matrix that I was too afraid to prep at the time.  Being how fragile they are, they're probably broken in the matrix anyways?! lol I do need to pull them back out one of these days and find out! How wonderful to have such beautiful specimens as intact as yours.  You had a great day for sure!!!  And that without even including the other fossils from the day...  hahaha! 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 4:45 PM, FossilsAnonymous said:

My parents and brother looked at me like I was crazy but I insisted upon going

I've often been (lovingly) told I was crazy. I'm happy that your insistence paid off. Thanks for your interesting trip report! My wife and I enjoyed a visit to Matoaka beach a few years ago, with a few nice finds and a pleasant walk. 

 

@lissa318. Welcome back!!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He sounds like a great guy, someone who shares the passion and is not shy about sharing:) that little crab is excellent:wub:

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Matoaka...  You seemed very knowledgeable and I'm glad I could contribute some fossils to your collection. The crabs came from the St Mary's formation and the whales from choptank. I hope to see you out there again soon. 

PS.  I won't be on the Facebook Forum anymore. We can communicate on fossils of Calvert cliffs page if you'd like. I'm not as active on here.  Best of luck on your hunts!  And I'm glad you got that beautiful Meg I told you about. It's amazing! 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, KimTexan said:

Very nice. The generosity is splendid.

I was there October 6 I think it was. I didn’t find a single tooth that day, but I found lots of shells. I did not find an intact Ecphora, but the lady I was hunting with found a pretty whole one and gave it to me. Sadly it did not make it back to Texas in tact. 

I think this is my favorite shell from there. 32A7C089-CD23-4A61-A623-648CCBC8A57E.thumb.jpeg.1c5de427950144e52d0f3d99e237a1d4.jpegFF06D687-3E5F-41C3-AF71-3FCDAA4FBECF.thumb.jpeg.8f8fdb9f3c3f62be68a7c59cf085c1b5.jpeg3A2B9030-C8E6-405E-ADAB-9D8B6BC27C35.thumb.jpeg.7b34d30aab34116f2dd0f6c9c9548c68.jpeg

 

I collected quite a few that made it back whole.

It was my first time there. I would love to go back. I really enjoyed going through the piles of avalanches material. I did find a good size piece of fossil whale bone.

I loved the place and hope I get to return one day.

Let me know if you're interested in some.  Maybe I can ship you a few. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@b. bartron @FossilsAnonymous excellent finds. Love hearing your stories about the cabins. I used to go almost every Saturday. Really miss that beautiful bayside place.

You have to come back! It's amazing out here on the bay. 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
5 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@b. bartron @FossilsAnonymous excellent finds. Love hearing your stories about the cabins. I used to go almost every Saturday. Really miss that beautiful bayside place.

definitely is still good for fossil material and beautiful as ever

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...