Hi everyone,

I recently moved up to Fernandina Beach this fall. I've been having decent luck finding fossils along spoil piles on islands and beaches. But as an avid diver, I'd like to take it underwater this spring/summer.

The only fossil diving I've done so far is out of Venice and some snorkeling in the rivers in Central Florida. 

I know that the current is ripping through the St. Mary's and St. John's and it is a blackwater dive, but I've heard of people diving them for meg teeth. 

I've got my boat and all my dive gear here waiting for the water temp to warm up. This is shaping up to be a mild winter so that may not be too long from now.

Can anyone give tips on what to look for along the river? Should I be watching my depth finder for drop offs? Any tips for once I'm in the water to find the fossil beds?

I don't expect anyone to give up their spots but a little guidance would be greatly appreciated. I know the hunt is half the fun.

Also, if anyone is looking for a dive partner, let me know!

Happy hunting,

Anthony

Harry Pristis

Anthony . . .

The St. Marys and the St. Johns are NOT the rivers to start off your blackwater diving career.  The St. Johns is polluted and the tugs with barges make that river doubly hazardous.  Stay with your boat in the St. Marys on a falling tide.  Good luck!

• I found this Informative 4
3 hours ago, aPlanas said:

Can anyone give tips on what to look for along the river? 

When you see those weird logs swimming toward you, it might be a good time to get back in the boat.

8 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Anthony . . .

The St. Marys and the St. Johns are NOT the rivers to start off your blackwater diving career.  The St. Johns is polluted and the tugs with barges make that river doubly hazardous.  Stay with your boat in the St. Marys on a falling tide.  Good luck!

Thank for the advice, I appreciate it! I'll stick to the St. Mary's.

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

When you see those weird logs swimming toward you, it might be a good time to get back in the boat.

Both rivers have a a pretty good stretch of brackish water. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is unlikely to see alligators in any kind of numbers in those sections.

I'm very familiar with sharks and alligators. If either wants you, you won't see it coming.