Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

UPDATE: Consolidated all my loose preparation threads into one topic.

Four hours so far into this big bug, and maybe another two to go.

Found at Penn Dixie this past weekend, the visible area measures 6 cm. With the pygidium, it likely measured about 8+ cm. Judging by its size and pustular sculpture, this was likely a long-lived specimen prior to burial.

This is how it looked fresh in the field:

IMG_5158.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There are a few challenges with this one:

1. It dips or lists to the left. 

2. There was dense matrix on the left and back that was time consuming to remove, using a terracing approach.

3. There is distortion on that left side, displacing the eye and left genal in general.

4. Compaction damage to the glabella.

This is after 1.5 hours:

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

After another 2.5 hours, it is starting to look much better. As an added surprise, a smaller roller was discovered beneath it. I figure another 2 hours will complete this bug, and maybe another hour or so for the small roller to make this a neat association.

I'm using an ARO clone with factory tip (not ideal), a Paasche using straight dolomite at varying pressures, and without the benefit of smaller dispensing needles. 

I might risk bringing the left side a bit lower, but it's tough to say what shape that side is in (yet). I expect to give it another go this Friday when I have time.

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 3

Thanks, @Ptychodus04! Still finding my way around. :P  Times like these (with excess matrix) make me pine for a CP9361! I put it on my xmas wish-list, so fingers crossed. :D 

I may have to revise my above estimate for some much-needed matrix sculpting to smooth out the "little cliffs" and ugly scribe marks. Maybe another hour to the total!

Great job so far, Kane!

These guys can be crushed pretty badly on one side - kind of how your's looks.  :unsure: 

Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Kane said:

...the visible area measures 6 cm. With the pygidium, it likely measured about 8+ cm...

IMG_5158.JPG

Don't shoot the messenger... gun-bandana-smiley-face.gif?1302011374  I see ±6 cm ... eyepopping.gif

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

31 minutes ago, piranha said:

Don't shoot the messenger... gun-bandana-smiley-face.gif?1302011374  I see ±6 cm ... eyepopping.gif

That first photo is a bit misleading as the measuring square is resting on the head of the hammer. I’m measuring with the curvature on the now more exposed specimen (using a string and ruler :P). He certainly isn’t the runt of the litter. :D

Update on the prep. 

Basically done. Left side is quite crushed, so it wasn't worth the risk to push it too much farther. But the left eye is finally exposed, and the left gena is tucked/folded underneath some very fractured areas. 

Most of what appears between the segments is just dolomite dust with the exception of the lower left of the thorax which has some very sticky pyritization. Doing much more without the benefit of dispensing needles is really not advisable for this one.

Just a few more touch-ups to go. This one has taken a ridiculous amount of time (about 10 hours). 

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 3

But there is more to this rock for prep: an average sized roller below the primary trilobite:

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

And while I had the compressor going, just a very quick, light blast to what will be a new challenge for me. 

A notoriously thin-skinned Greenops widderensis, enrolled with flying genal spines. It is important that I learn through experience how to prep these.

IMG_5198.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Just now, Kane said:

A notoriously thin-skinned Greenops widderensis, enrolled with flying genal spines. It is important that I learn through experience how to prep these.

I hate thin skinned trilobites; they get their feelings hurt way too easily. :P

Just now, Ptychodus04 said:

I hate thin skinned trilobites; they get their feelings hurt way too easily. :P

:hearty-laugh:

On 10/17/2018 at 7:06 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Paleo tools sells a longer stylus that fits the Aro and its clones. Well worth the $70 or so for it. I use the 2.5” length.

Please be aware that the longer Paleo tools stylus is thicker and requires their modified bushing, which now costs $110. All Air Products sells a replacement stylus that is about 0.5 inches longer than the factory Aro stylus, that is a direct fit in any Aro clone. I have one and the extra 0.5" makes a big difference. It is not listed on the website, so you have to call. I think mine cost around $25-30.

• I found this Informative 2

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

And this little prone took me just over an hour. 

Before and after:

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5209.JPG

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 4

Two different bugs. Are you trying to dupe us? :D

very nice work indeed Kane congratulations.   :yay-smiley-1:

Thanks, Bobby. :) Looking at them side by side, they do look like night and day!

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Bobby. :) Looking at them side by side, they do look like night and day!

That just goes to show what the right amount of good prep work  does to enhances a specimen.

Sweet! 

Getting pretty good there, K-man. :) 

Well done, sir.

IMG_5170.thumb.JPG-horz.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015