Jump to content

Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza


Recommended Posts

Ptychodus04

Well, I’m finally getting to dig into my truckload of fossils from my Wyoming trip with @RJB so it’s my turn to open up a prep thread. I spent a couple hours today poking around to find the perfect fish to start with.

 

The 18” layer never disappoints. This good sized Diplomystus has 2 Knightia on top of it.  I’m going to try to save both but I’m concerned that the right hand one is covering most of the Diplo’s skull. If that’s the case, the little guy will have to go!

 

This is after about 90 minutes of scribe work.6493EDD9-E340-4068-8F5D-80D6320ED154.thumb.jpeg.56aa963738def9ecdd219b5ec96a73f9.jpeg

  • I found this Informative 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t wait to see how it turns out! Looks and sounds like you’ve got a lot of fun ahead of you

Link to post
Share on other sites

If one of those little fish is on the head,,,,,,Dont take any prisoners!   Let the rock fly! 

 

RB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
4 hours ago, RJB said:

If one of those little fish is on the head,,,,,,Dont take any prisoners!   Let the rock fly! 

 

RB

 

Yep, the Knightia may have to get sacrificed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Ptychodus04

No individual pics of the little fish/bugs/leaves because there are too many to mess with all that nonsense. So, here's a shot of the bench. :P

 

IMG_7461.thumb.jpg.9464b37950bb41837e6e9eae73aad970.jpg

  • I found this Informative 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you've got nothing to do. :P:D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
31 minutes ago, Kane said:

Looks like you've got nothing to do. :P:D 

And no room to do it either!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
2 hours ago, Randyw said:

Wish my workbench was filled with that much goodness! :envy:

That’s about 10% of what I have to prep. :default_faint:

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s about 10% of what I have to prep. :default_faint:

I wish I could say that! Unless I can find some more material  I’m down to 2 plant plates, 2 fish, a croanid plate to clean up, an Oreodont skull about half done and 3-4 other Oreodont skulls that just need to finish and then I’m out of material! :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04

Sometimes, the prep isn’t worth the product. This Cockrellites (I think) looked promising.

24DCCF0E-8E0C-4768-AF1C-13328FB04E00.thumb.jpeg.0f6017c07c473c8b89390f26746dd4a4.jpeg

 

After a few hours of scribing and abrasive, this guy has a totally blown up face.

D0A6B2BB-21BC-4FEF-A4F8-B1C427E4E454.thumb.jpeg.79b320620f1688433bcab3684f1ba4f7.jpeg

 

I can appreciate a decomposed fish but was hoping this one this one would be really nice since it was pretty close to the surface.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still love it! I don’t know. I like all fossils and I like to prep for the sake of prepping. A beautiful perfect specimen is great but I also appreciate the not so perfect ones. If I had prepped that fish I’d be over the moon about it! But I’m weird that way! LOL! In my world that’s still a 9 out of 10!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
57 minutes ago, Randyw said:

I still love it! I don’t know. I like all fossils and I like to prep for the sake of prepping. A beautiful perfect specimen is great but I also appreciate the not so perfect ones. If I had prepped that fish I’d be over the moon about it! But I’m weird that way! LOL! In my world that’s still a 9 out of 10!

I’m pretty similar. I’m not really that disappointed. When you have 100 or so fish to prep, you have the opportunity to be a fossil snob. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04

This little guy was easy. 15 minutes of abrasive. There’s just a bit of missing skull.6B5EC286-4C1A-405E-92C7-F06539B54D90.thumb.jpeg.7ea502478fbab1f4dd8470773214caa0.jpeg

  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ptychodus04,   cute little diplo.   I love the little fishy's.    Im posting a picture for an idea how to maybe finish it?    And @Randyw,  living in Nebraska gives you no right to be low on fossils!!!    Just kidding.  Just seems like you should have boxes and boxes of White River stuff?

 

RB

DSCN1914.JPG

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04

@RJB That's a cool finish. Much cleaner than the chipped edge it currently has.

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
45 minutes ago, Randyw said:

@RJB LOL! They are all on the other side of the state!

Still no excuse. I drove 2,600 miles round trip for my Green River fish. :P

 

You're probably much closer to the western Kansas chalk beds than the White River stuff.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still just as far. Nope unfortunately distance isn’t the problem. I’ve got R.A., degenerative disk disease, spinal stenosis, spinal instability, and sciatica, among other ailments. I can’t kneel at all bending is bad and I can’t walk, sit, stand or lay for any real amount of time. I have to keep shifting every little while. Stand for a bit, lay for a bit, walk for a bit, I average 3-31/2 hours of sleep a day. Fortunately in my job I can keep shifting all day but it still takes a hydrocodone and two Aleve  to even let me get started in the a.m. sigh... the spirit is willing but the body is shot let this be a lesson to you kids out there! Take care of your backs!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s why I started randyw’s house of unloved fossils and why I’m always looking for unprepared stuff. So I can still collect and work with fossils vicariously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
16 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Still just as far. Nope unfortunately distance isn’t the problem. I’ve got R.A., degenerative disk disease, spinal stenosis, spinal instability, and sciatica, among other ailments. I can’t kneel at all bending is bad and I can’t walk, sit, stand or lay for any real amount of time. I have to keep shifting every little while. Stand for a bit, lay for a bit, walk for a bit, I average 3-31/2 hours of sleep a day. Fortunately in my job I can keep shifting all day but it still takes a hydrocodone and two Aleve  to even let me get started in the a.m. sigh... the spirit is willing but the body is shot let this be a lesson to you kids out there! Take care of your backs!

That stinks a lot. I'm sure I can hook you up with some unprepped stuff in the near future. It's all crazy hard stuff so it can't be done with hand tools but if you're tooled up for prep I'm sure I'll have some I don't want to deal with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...