Monica

Hello everyone!

On Monday, I found a beautiful Treptoceras crebriseptum orthoconic nautiloid in a huge rock at Mimico Creek in the Etobicoke/Toronto area (Georgian Bay Formation, Upper Ordovician).  It has been suggested that I might have a complete specimen, so I was hoping that someone out there might be able to let me know if this is the case or not.

Here are some pictures...

Whole specimen:

DSC00434.thumb.JPG.2a5860596d6a2d72c1582e2af3068fbe.JPG

Close-up of the base of the specimen (specimen has been turned over) - note that it is smoothly rounded and shows no septa - is this the fossilized living chamber of the animal?

DSC00438.JPG.c602d87f87e965e19437ebcf28979957.JPG

Close up of the tip of the specimen - note that it seems to end before the rock edge - is this the very tip of the animal?

DSC00439.thumb.JPG.fe0dc9b519934dcfbda773a2578b2653.JPG

Close up of the piece that shattered off the tip of the specimen - note that it also seems to end before the rock edge:

DSC00440.thumb.JPG.be7d984134a42f7e9e6f393e63643cb7.JPG

Thanks for your help!!!

Monica

• I found this Informative 2

Cropped, rotated, brightened, and enlarged.

DSC00434.thumb.JPG.2a5860596d6a2d72c1582e2af3068fbe.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I would say it is essentially complete.  However, it seems to be missing the tip.  This might have happened while the animal was still alive, but at any rate it is fragile and so the tip of the shell is often missing.

Don

23 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I would say it is essentially complete.  However, it seems to be missing the tip.  This might have happened while the animal was still alive, but at any rate it is fragile and so the tip of the shell is often missing.

Don

Thanks, Don!

Great specimen! I agree with Don about the tip - it may just be fragility but a lot of nautiloids were deciduous, shedding their earlier stages as a matter of course.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

18 minutes ago, TqB said:

Great specimen! I agree with Don about the tip - it may just be fragility but a lot of nautiloids were deciduous, shedding their earlier stages as a matter of course.

Thanks for the added information, Tarquin!

12 hours ago, howard_l said:

I think there would be more of the living chamber there but most of it looks there.

Thanks for chiming in!  I've passed this specimen on to a friend who can prepare it properly - I'll post pictures of it when it's done :)

Is this orthoconic nautiloid complete?

Needs a rear deck and a swimming pool. :heartylaugh:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I recall reading from the book Stratigraphy and Paleontology of Toronto and Vicinity that the body chamber of Treptoceras crebiseptum occupies at least 25% of the animal. 

1 hour ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

I recall reading from the book Stratigraphy and Paleontology of Toronto and Vicinity that the body chamber of Treptoceras crebiseptum occupies at least 25% of the animal. 

Thanks for the interesting fact - we'll see what it measures when it's cleaned up...