Cephalopod and blastoid from Bangor Limestone

Monica

Hi again!

Two more ID requests - this time they're from the Bangor Limestone in Alabama, USA (Lower Carboniferous, Mississippian).

Specimen #1: An orthoconic nautiloid - could it be Brachycycloceras sp.?

DSC00477.thumb.JPG.b4a6b1b7a6c9f9d9063d8d3830f5365e.JPG

Specimen #2: A blastoid - Pentremites sp.?

DSC00478.thumb.JPG.ee967891aabd1cc7830a56d594c11f96.JPG

Thanks for your help!

Monica

Don't know on the nautiloid. Pentremites for sure.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The guy on online that collects this material call those nautiloids Spyroceras, but the Treatise indicates they are restricted to the Devonian.  I find very similar ribbed nautiloids in the lower Mississippian of Kentucky.  they look very similar to the Devonian Spyroceras but there are others in the Treatise that are also ribbed and are in the Carboniferous. My treatise  is in my office or I would include their genus names. 

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Don't know on the nautiloid. Pentremites for sure.

Thanks for the verification, Mark! :dinothumb:

12 hours ago, howard_l said:

The guy on online that collects this material call those nautiloids Spyroceras, but the Treatise indicates they are restricted to the Devonian.  I find very similar ribbed nautiloids in the lower Mississippian of Kentucky.  they look very similar to the Devonian Spyroceras but there are others in the Treatise that are also ribbed and are in the Carboniferous. My treatise  is in my office or I would include their genus names. 

The strong ribbing reminded me of Spyroceras, too, but I didn't suggest it because I've also read that it's limited to the Devonian.

If/when you get a chance to check out your treatise to suggest possible genera for my specimen, I would really appreciate it - I'd love it if I could record a more specific ID for this specimen than simply "orthoconic nautiloid" (I'm currently organizing my fossils into cabinets with labels, and I'd like to be as specific as possible on the labels :)).  Thanks so much!

On 7/30/2019 at 8:51 AM, howard_l said:

Here are two other ribbed orthoconic nautiloids that occur in the Mississippian.   Neocycloceras sp. and Reticycloceras sp. 

Wow, Lawrence  - thank you SO much!!!  I went onto "fossilworks" and found that there are no records of Neocycloceras (or Brachycycloceras - the one that I suggested) in Alabama, but Reticycloceras has been found in the Bangor Limestone of Alabama, so I think we might have a winner!!!  (The site also listed another orthoconic nautiloid as occurring in the Bangor Limestone - Dolorthoceras - but that one doesn't have any ribbing, so I think it's safe to ID my specimen as Reticycloceras sp.).

THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!! :fistbump: