Jump to content

Fossil Fish: Neoproscinetes?


RaideReX

Recommended Posts

Good day, I'd like some help to identify this fossil fish. It is nearly 11 inches long. From what I've searched it looks similar to Neoproscinetes, but I'm no master of fossil fishes. I'd like to know its species name and if it is indeed a real fossil fish.

neos.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

@oilshale may help.

From the very first view i would say it's from Santana-Formation, lower Cretaceous;  Ceara, Brasilia. Seems indeed to be a Neoproscinetes (species would be "penalvai"). Poor prep job anyway...

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pemphix is right with Santana Formation. I know at least 3 deep-bodied fish from there: Neoproscinetes penalvai, Araripichthys castilhoi and Iemanja palma. Unfortunately the preservation is such that I cannot make a safe allocation, but Neoproscinetes will probably be the best guess. What irritates me is the very big caudal fin and the very short body.

Unbenannt.JPG.5d5228456ea4524d768a6aad66788e53.JPG

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, oilshale said:

What irritates me is the very big caudal fin and the very short body.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Would you please expand?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sberebit said:

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Would you please expand?

He means it has a huge tail fin, but a very short body. It looks like it was badly designed.. stubby fish with a tail that should actually belong on a larger creature.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the impression that your fish is either strongly compressed or a part in between is missing and the tail is made fit and pieced on. How does the glue joint look like? Do the pieces really fit?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, oilshale said:

I have the impression that your fish is either strongly compressed or a part in between is missing and the tail is made fit and pieced on. How does the glue joint look like? Do the pieces really fit?  

That was my first impression, too. I would lean towards the missing piece, since anatomy is not matching (you can see that are missing parts if you look on the dorsal fin - imo it's much too short for any of the three genus in question). Probably around 30% is missing, imo...i can see no signs of compression on the photo.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, oilshale said:

I have the impression that your fish is either strongly compressed or a part in between is missing and the tail is made fit and pieced on. How does the glue joint look like? Do the pieces really fit?  

 

12 hours ago, Pemphix said:

That was my first impression, too. I would lean towards the missing piece, since anatomy is not matching (you can see that are missing parts if you look on the dorsal fin - imo it's much too short for any of the three genus in question). Probably around 30% is missing, imo...i can see no signs of compression on the photo.

 

Your impressions are confirmed, I asked the owner of the piece and he said the tail was fitted to a body lacking the end section.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...