Jump to content

How would you proceed with this?


Recommended Posts

So... This specimen is currently in ID- section here, but since it doesnt have any suggestions, I figured out that I should try to get some more features to help IDing. This is from northern Germany. I found this little stone and after a while, I decided to smash this into another rock. It kinda worked and this is what was in there. The fossil itself is quite fragile, and I accidentally managed to swipe lots of the material away from the other half. That was poor handling from my part.. :S

 

I must say that Im quite inexperienced (only "re-prepped" one Otodus tooth which had some features under rock. Turned out to be quite fine fore first "prep" IMO). I have magnifiers, dental tools, glues etc for basic working but no powertools bc I live in an apartment building. Not saying that I would use any powertools for this.

How would you guys deal with this, or is this something I shouldnt try to tackle?

brodtesteinerid3.JPG

brodtesteinerid4.JPG

brodtesteinerid5.JPG

brodtesteinerid6.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would almost be afraid to spend a lot of time attempting to uncover whatever that dark stuff is only to find you have a unrecognizable dark splotch.

Have you tested it to see if the matrix reacts to a mild acid?  You may be able to uncover by chemical means if so.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

That is teeny tiny! I would be tempted to leave it as is, but as a micro fossil preparator myself I wouldn't be able to resist giving it a go! I personally would use a microscope and a micro airscribe which does not vibrate. I wouldn't try with handheld tools. What is the matrix like? Soft or hard? (soft is relative to as soft as rocks can be! :default_rofl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a well seasoned micro-prepper, I would leave it as is.  It is too small and delicate to prep without the right tools and experience.  

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 23.10.2019 at 1:21 PM, tvanzyl89 said:

That is teeny tiny! I would be tempted to leave it as is, but as a micro fossil preparator myself I wouldn't be able to resist giving it a go! I personally would use a microscope and a micro airscribe which does not vibrate. I wouldn't try with handheld tools. What is the matrix like? Soft or hard? (soft is relative to as soft as rocks can be! :default_rofl:

Yeah, it is quite small.. I had a hard time to take good enough photos (and Im not liking that quality now either) to show others, even with macro settings.. But it can be that my camera aint good enough or I dont have enough skills to use it. :DOH::D

 

What comes to tools, I dont have any possibility to use powered tools (apartment buildings..). So I guess I just leave it be.. :D I feel like that matrix is relatively soft, I found this one when I smashed this small stone to another stone and it broke quite easily.. :D Specimen itself is reeeeeaaally delicate, I accidentally brushed it with my thumb and whoops, parts of that was gone. :DOH:

 

On 23.10.2019 at 7:00 PM, jpc said:

As a well seasoned micro-prepper, I would leave it as is.  It is too small and delicate to prep without the right tools and experience.  

Agreed!

 

Thanks for your answers! ^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lihaaja said:

Specimen itself is reeeeeaaally delicate, I accidentally brushed it with my thumb and whoops, parts of that was gone. :DOH:

Sounds like a thin carbon film. I agree it is best not to touch it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Sounds like a thin carbon film. I agree it is best not to touch it. 

Yeah, Im kinda accepted the fact I may never know what it really is.. But still, Im happy I found it and have it, even though it's not something I put in display. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...