Puerto Rican sea biscuit?

GallinaPinta

So i found this in san sebastian puerto rico and tried looking for info on it. All i found was that they were from madagascar. What's it doing all the way here in Puerto rico? How old is it? What period is it from?

rsz_20191002_174647.jpg

Search for 'Puerto Rico' 'Echinoid' and 'fossil' (Sea biscuit is not the right term to search for).

This might be Echinolampas lycopersicus from the Middle Tertiary (Gordon, W. A. “Middle Tertiary Echinoids of Puerto Rico.” Journal of Paleontology, vol. 37, no. 3, 1963, pp. 628–642. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1301379.)

Velez-Juarbe, J. and H. Santos. 2008. Fossil Echinodermata from Puerto Rico; pp. 369-395 in W. I. Ausich and G. D. Webster (eds.), Echinoderm Paleobiology. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, Indiana.

Cutress, B. M. 1980. Cretaceous and Tertiary Cidaroida (Echinodermata, Echinoidea) of the Caribbean area. Bulletin of American Paleontology 77:1-221.

• I found this Informative 8

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

53 minutes ago, oilshale said:

Search for 'Puerto Rico' 'Echinoid' and 'fossil' (Sea biscuit is not the right term to search for).

This might be Echinolampas lycopersicus from the Middle Tertiary (Gordon, W. A. “Middle Tertiary Echinoids of Puerto Rico.” Journal of Paleontology, vol. 37, no. 3, 1963, pp. 628–642. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1301379.)

Velez-Juarbe, J. and H. Santos. 2008. Fossil Echinodermata from Puerto Rico; pp. 369-395 in W. I. Ausich and G. D. Webster (eds.), Echinoderm Paleobiology. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, Indiana.

Cutress, B. M. 1980. Cretaceous and Tertiary Cidaroida (Echinodermata, Echinoidea) of the Caribbean area. Bulletin of American Paleontology 77:1-221.

Ok that's pretty awesome. Thanks!

There should be more where you found that one. Go get 'em, and have fun. Nice specimen!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

@GallinaPinta I should have checked the Forum for PR Forum Members. I just got back two weeks ago from visiting my wife’s family and our friends in Gurabo, Coamo and Aguada. I did try to find a road cut near Aguada that was supposed to have fossils, but I could not find the exact location. Congrats on the great find.

On 10/3/2019 at 2:19 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

There should be more where you found that one. Go get 'em, and have fun. Nice specimen!

Im definitely fossil hunting more. Thanks!

On 10/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, Nimravis said:

@GallinaPinta I should have checked the Forum for PR Forum Members. I just got back two weeks ago from visiting my wife’s family and our friends in Gurabo, Coamo and Aguada. I did try to find a road cut near Aguada that was supposed to have fossils, but I could not find the exact location. Congrats on the great find.

Next time you come by, I recommend fossil hunting in san sebastian. Or the river beds in aguada. You can find some nice steinkerns, clams, oysters, sea urchins and more!

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, GallinaPinta said:

Im definitely fossil hunting more. Thanks!

Next time you come by, I recommend fossil hunting in san sebastian. Or the river beds in aguada. You can find some nice steinkerns, clams, oysters, sea urchins and more!

Thanks I will check it out next year.