Member of the Month - January 2022 - TopTrilo

Fossildude19

The Christmas parties are over, and we are in smack dab in the middle of Winter, as it were. Snow and cold in the northern regions are putting a damper on fossil hunting sojourns, unless they end up bringing us southward, to warmer climes.

The diversity of the birds at my feeders grows, and the temperatures plummet, and we struggle through the shortened hours of daylight. But, there is always good with the bad.  :D

As we chime in a New Year, we also say goodbye to the old year, as well as that year's last MotM.

With the new month, in a New Year, we require a new wearer of the crown. .

We are happy to announce this month's winner, (by unanimous staff vote) to be:

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1: Top -Trilo   :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

A relative newcomer to the Forum, Alexander has been with us a little over a year and 3 months. In that short amount of time, he has shown himself to be welcoming and patient with new members, inquisitive and eager to learn from the more established members, and overall a good representative of this community.

His latest turn as our own self  volunteered Forum statistician has all of us shaking our heads in wonder to the graphs he created by compiling the data manually! Alexander is polite, welcoming, and very open to all ideas. He has distinguished himself by jumping right into the community, and sharing his passions with ours. Always handy with a kind, encouraging word or bar graph, Alexander is a pleasure to have as part of this Forum.

Thank you Alexander, for all you do for the Forum. Congratulations on earning this honor, it is well deserved.

Please feel free to share your journey to the Forum with us, if you would be willing!  :)

I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

Congratulations, again. Keep up the good work, friend.  ;)

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 unfeatured this topic

Congratulations!

On 12/29/2021 at 8:53 PM, Fossildude19 said:

He has distinguished himself by jumping right into the community,

That´s exactly what I was thinking and feeling a year ago. Did´n realize he was a new member ;). And you did really well in my contest about "Macro Fossil Mass Occurrences" a year ago, @Top Trilo :dinothumb:.

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

By my calculations...:D I thank you for your contributions to making this a better Forum!  Congrats, Alexander!

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank you everyone! Its nice to know my blabbering isn't completely useless. It means a lot, hearing this from members that I look up to. I will write a longer reply, including my journey to fossils and TFF later.

-Alex ;)

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Congrats! :trilo:

• Thank You 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Congratulations! :)

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Congratulations, Alexander, from one who bears the same name! :default_clap2:

:yay-smiley-1:

Cheers,

Alexander.

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Hi,

Congrats Alex ! I would have thought you’d been on TFF a lot longer !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I have been fascinated by rocks and the natural world for as long as I can remember. Anytime I would go somewhere, I’d come back with a rock. I was born in northeast Ohio (about an hour south of Cleveland). Unfortunately I never knew about the fossil hunting possibilities in the region. Paleontology, in my mind, was always one of those things for the experts. Scientists find dinosaurs and work in white labs with coats. Paleontology was never something I felt I could get into. Nevertheless that did not stop me from enjoying them and buying shark teeth which I would later learn to be Otodus obliquus. Living in Colorado, mountain towns aren’t far away and many of them have rock shops. Anytime I was in one of those towns I’d make sure to stop by one of these shops. It was like a small museum (only with free entry, and the option to buy any specimen that was in your price range). I marveled at the large GRF slabs and 5+ inch megalodon teeth, and the surprisingly cheap, large Moroccan trilobites. I had bought a rock tumbler and would enjoy finding rocks to throw in there, even the simplest rock could come out stunning when polished. This kept me on the hunt everywhere I went. Inevitably there were some rocks and patterns that I didn’t think rocks could achieve, which led to the idea of them being fossils (a cooler rock). One in particular had everything I would imagine a fossil to be. It was a rock with clearly a three toed print cast with plant matter covering it. The plant pieces were everywhere; on the print, on the sides, on the bottom. It’s exactly how I imagined the Cretaceous to look like. Before this point, I had been collecting via purchasing fossils for two years and had a general idea about the geologic time scale and the largest fossil groups. After doing some research I had determined the shape matched a small theropod. I wanted to see if I could identify the species. I had no luck and TFF came up on most of my searches. I would use the search function for “footprint” but no footprint looked just like it with the plant matter (imagine that). So I decided to create an account and ask about it and the other rocks I had accrued. I also had visited the Florissant Fossil Beds for the first time a few months prior and had a few questions about some finds. I quickly realized this site was more than just a place to identify finds, it was a library of information from thousands of members, all over the world, for over a decade. I really enjoyed the community as well, every member was very kind and anytime a new member tried to create issues, it was quickly ended and the forum continued as usual. I never felt like I was treated differently or ignored because I was new to the forum and new to the fossil world. You know everything after that. Thank you all for making this so enjoyable and teaching me so much. I am shocked at the amount I have learned from the day I joined to now.

Thank you all.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 10
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks for the origin story.

We hear from many members how they enjoy the vibe here and how it is different than the majority of social media. Staff occasionally have to do a bit of steering to keep things on track but virtually all our effort is zapping any spam that appears and trying to bring some rational thought and logic to new members who arrive with their petrified mushrooms/hearts/snake-heads or the ubiquitous backyard dino eggs (usually with T-rex embryos clearly visible). ;) The real magic of this forum is that we really are welcoming to new members. I've been on some other (non-fossil) forums where the "omniscient elders" of said forums treat knowledge as some sort of power that they hoard. They would often berate "newbies" for asking the same questions over and over or belittle them for not being able to search for the answers to similar questions. Nothing is more off-putting than feeling that there is a ruling elite holding all knowledge who don't wish to share it and lose their status as know-it-alls.

We have a great diversity of members here on TFF (some professionals and some really dedicated avocational paleontologists) and the best part is their willingness to share that knowledge. They do so not to garner praise but to share the knowledge they have passionately accumulated. It seems a recurring theme that new members join the forum and find it a great source of information on the types of fossils they have access to and before long they find that they have worked their way up the learning curve and are able to answer the questions of newer members that not too long before they themselves were asking. I think you'll agree that TFF is less a social media site than it is a community--a diverse community that share a common passion for fossil knowledge.

I'm proud to be a member here and happy to have been able to meet-up with so many members in the real (non-digital) world. It's members like you--and the other members we recognize (sometimes belatedly)--that really make this a vibrant community. Thanks for contributing to the greater good. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 4

Congrats @Top Trilo! The honor is well deserved. Wear your crown proudly!:default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Congratulations!

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!