Mark Kmiecik

A0004 -- Cordaites borassifolius or other?

A0015 -- Calamoriophyllum sp. or other?

A0017 -- Plant debris plus something interesting.

A0018 -- Uncertain, possibly a worm?

2077790885_A0004Unknown.thumb.JPG.c95f4de39a0738a759eaae2ba97112c5.JPG 329830395_A0015Calamariophyllumsp.maybe.thumb.JPG.738c033ce5a93c5a84fa1de7b5b9fbb7.JPG 435273428_A0017Unknown.thumb.JPG.d802f948fa5d6bf6ca3a534c0a9ed7ce.JPG 1535406491_A0018Unknown.thumb.JPG.74be43e4c94d753ed6ed06fb58e1bfa2.JPG  

As always, any help from the usual gang is greatly appreciated.

@bigred97

@connorp

@deutscheben

@fiddlehead

@Nimravis

@RCFossils

@Runner64

@stats

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

34 minutes ago, connorp said:

@Mark Kmiecik Could you get closer photos of the last one? And is it Braidwood or Essex?

@connorp It's Braidwood. The photo is as good as it will get. Of course you know that if you click or tap on it, it will enlarge it. I played with the lighting, contrast and exposure a lot to get it that good. In hand, it's nearly invisible. I can put an enlarged insert in, as I did in the A0017 photo if you think that would help, but it will take a while as I'll have to make room for it. Here's a quick blow-up. 

587029855_A0018Unknown2.thumb.JPG.8676998c88a3852f72170681736d3ea4.JPG

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

55 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

@connorp It's Braidwood. The photo is as good as it will get. Of course you know that if you click or tap on it, it will enlarge it. I played with the lighting, contrast and exposure a lot to get it that good. In hand, it's nearly invisible. I can put an enlarged insert in, as I did in the A0017 photo if you think that would help, but it will take a while as I'll have to make room for it. Here's a quick blow-up. 

587029855_A0018Unknown2.thumb.JPG.8676998c88a3852f72170681736d3ea4.JPG

Tough to say, but I am thinking this might be a millipede section. There looks to be clear segmentation.

• Thank You 1

I would agree that A0018 might be a section of millipede but would need better resolution pictures or seeing it in person to confirm.

• Thank You 1

Thanks to both of you. I value your input. At first I thought it was a poorly preserved bit of Pecopteris sp. I'm working with a new (to me) camera app for my iPhone 7. I think I can get better photos than these, but I'm not very well versed in using the app for max resolution yet. Still experimenting with various facets to get good results. I hope there's better photos in my future.

Mark.

A0017 is the subsurface of an algae called Taeniophyllum latifolium. This mesh-like pattern is exposed when the plant is degraded and the smooth outer layer is removed. It is most often seen only as a small section that happens to be in a loose association with some type of larger aquatic animal.

Hope this helps,

Jack

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

A0017 is the subsurface of an algae called Taeniophyllum latifolium. This mesh-like pattern is exposed when the plant is degraded and the smooth outer layer is removed. It is most often seen only as a small section that happens to be in a loose association with some type of larger aquatic animal.

Hope this helps,

Jack

Thank you, Jack. I appreciate your input immensely.

Mark.