Update and partial reason for being gone

CBchiefski

Howdy everyone,

Figured I would give a quick update, obviously I am alive though came far closer to that being different than I would have liked. In late July 2021, I was driving back after a productive yet long summer of fieldwork, since mid-May. Had just finished a site map and got a decent head start on the annual report for the Bureau of Land Management. I should have spent another night in town instead of trying to start my drive home exhausted.  Well, it is unclear if I was too tired to focus or if it was microsleep but here is a picture of the result:

Julycrash.thumb.JPG.75114dc95b8121c224ef929b2a107346.JPG

That was in Southwest Wyoming and emergency services were a long way off, for perspective, it took nearly 30 minutes for law enforcement to arrive. I had to cut my seatbelt, which had just saved me, with my pocketknife and fell to the ceiling of the truck. From there I crawled out the door window which was barely accessible. Of course, after pulling my cell phone out, I had no service. Managed to flag down a trucker sometime later and received help from there. Whiplash, 3 broken bones, twisted vertebrae, and several pinched nerves are the injuries I am still working through even these years later. Certainly doing better, my doctor does not want me to lift any objects over 30 pounds, 14 kg, but I was able to lift roughly 140 the other day so making good headway. Not quite back to my old self and will never be, I am though happy to still be here, it is one of more than a few close calls over the years. Fortunately, I can continue fieldwork, the duration I can do said fieldwork has been reduced but I know several in paleontology who can no longer do fieldwork after a crash.

I have a few upcoming posts that I am working on writing and sorting out photos to include. Now that the hectic end-semester grading is over, I am making headway on research writing with fieldwork preparation and planning taking up a fair bit of my time.  Excluding the crash and extra medical issues resulting, life has been busy yet enjoyable.

E.P.

• I found this Informative 8

Whoa! Glad you are relatively OK!  :blink:

And glad you are still with us!! 

Thanks for letting us know about this, and looking forward to more input from you at some point.

Take care, and be well!  :zen:

Best wishes,

Tim

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! Sounds like something out of a movie. :default_faint:

I’m sorry you had to go through such an experience, but I’m glad you are still with us! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Great Googly Moogly - glad you survived. Thank you for the reminder that we all need to be conscientious of how worn out we can get while fossil hunting/fieldwork/whatever is fun we are doing.  We sometimes travel for long distances, often alone, in remote areas, and  often push our own limits. This is timely for me as I will be traveling to help out on a dig next week, driving 10 hours by myself to get to said site. I had a friend who did not survive a crash that was likely due to falling asleep at the wheel. Very glad you did. 

Welcome back.  So happy you're able to tell us the tale.  I shudder to recall how many times I've driven tired, just wanting to get home.  I don't do that any more, and tales like yours are a big reason why.

Don

WOW, were you lucky! Glad life has returned to some semblance of normalcy. This story reminds me of the current discussion about "Member of the Month" award and why members disappear from the forum. Proof there  are many reasons beyond our wildest dreams. Wish you the best in your CONTINUED RECOVERY AND WELCOME BACK.

Mike

• I Agree 1

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the concern and it is heartwarming to see how many are glad I am doing better. Fieldwork starts today with a 3-hour drive and fortunately, I had a decent night’s sleep.

On 5/16/2024 at 5:25 AM, minnbuckeye said:

This story reminds me of the current discussion about "Member of the Month" award and why members disappear from the forum. Proof there  are many reasons beyond our wildest dreams.

Indeed, my absence had little to do with TFF, this is a truly great corner of the internet.  

E.P.

• Enjoyed 1